The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 24 years, I'm going to hunt with a shotgun this year. Within the last 3 years I either saw a video or read an article about "inserting" the shot when shooting birds. It may have been on USA Shooting Wednesday show. I'd like to learn that technique, but can't find it explained anywhere. Can anyone help me?
Thanks!
Ben

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have been around shotgus and shooting all my life, I have read a lot of books and articles on shotgun shooting. I use the Churchill method, I never heard of inserting the shot.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Thats a method most instructors call " Pull Away".
Instead of mounting behind the target, or maintaining a sustained lead in front of it, this method instructs the shooter to mount dead on the target, then pull away and fire. It is the least popular method of instruction, because you MUST pull up dead on, a little off either way is a miss/loss. It is a faster method than swing through or sustained lead.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I have been shooting shotguns in trap, skeet, phesants, rabbits, grouse and all manner of venues for about 50 years and I have never heard of "inserting the shot". I also am a dedicated shotshell reloader and that term is not in anything I have read on the topic of relaoding.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's why I couldn't find anything in my searches, I remembered the term incorrectly. I do remember the video to be a military shooter demonstrating his techniques in International trap {or maybe skeet}. He amazed me how quickly he dusted a bird. I saw it come out of the house and it was powdered at the same time.
Is there a thread comparing or defining various techniques?
Thanks!
Ben

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Not sure which method I use, but it involves looking at nothing but the target, and swinging with the target the entire time......no lead or anything of that nature......just pull up follow, bang...

Im guessing it is what is termed as the swing through method...

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Oh, INTERNATIONAL (AKA Bunker) Trap is a completely different animal. Vastly different than American Trap and a lot faster. I suppose the International Trap crowd may have some termanology that contains that descriptive phrase but I don't know what it is. Try a Google search on International Trap rules.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Inserting is the term they use for the pullup to target. They teach it as if you were putting your barrel into a sphere. There is a milisecond of "pull away" while you shoot. You actually pull to the right or left. It is a purely instictive method, not popular at all today. I tried it in the mid nineties when I was very competitive, I did not care for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts