The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Inline Muzzleloader

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Gremcat 
#1 ·
I was thinking of buying an inline to take advantage of the fall season. I dont want to spend a large amount of money in case i would not like it. I also dont want a piece of junk either. Anyone have any recommendations on the different manufacturers?

#5 ·
I just bought a CVA wolf. It came with a 3-9 scope. It was $245.00. I sighted it in last week. I couldn't get it to group at first and found out 3 out of the 4 scope ring screws were loose. I removed the scope and was able to get 1/2 to 3/4 turn on the base screws as well. Once I tightened everything up, it shot pretty good. So, if you buy one with a scope mounted, make sure everything is tight before you waste powder.

Reactions: bohunr
#12 ·
I started muzzleloading nearly 40 years ago, used caplocks back then. When I decided to try flintlocks, (which obviously I like a lot), I bought a Traditions PA Pellet for my "entry level" flinter.

Traditions makes a fine and dependable muzzleloader, accurate beyond your needs IMO. The PA Pellet needed some lock tuning, which is normal, but the caplocks should be fine without a lot of tweaking. I would look into the Traditions, and my second choice, still a good one, is CVA, on entry level guns.

Good luck. Hoping this was a help.

#14 ·
Here's my advice on in-lines:

I have a T\C Encore with a 50 cal barrel. After trying many load\powder\bullet combo's including MMP sabots, T\C sabots with 44 cal bullets, MMP's with Nosler .458 Ballistic Silvertips, and trying many different bullet weights...here's what worked the best:

The best in my rifle with .458 Hornady 325gr gummy tips....100gr Blackhorn 209 powder.

My hunting buddy has a Traditions in-line and we found that the Nosler .458 Ballistic Silvertip and 100gr. Blackhorn 209 is wicked accurate in his.

My point is I dunno if you can make a "bad" choice of in-lines. But load development and testing is going to be key in your rifles maximum accuracy.

I hope this helps!!

#18 ·
I consider the CVA Accura MR a lower cost high value for an In-Line. I like the Encore but I wouldn’t say it’s a budget gun. If it wasn’t hunting season they can be bought used at a good price. I don’t remember what I paid for the MR but think 450 ish. It’s actually been more accurate than the encore and doesn’t seem picky on loads or I just got lucky the first load I tried.

I would look for something with a decent trigger and a speed breech plug. I’ve had some that required a tool and even bolt action In-Lines. I really prefer the hand removable plugs.

If you do decide on an MR I’d avoid the Cerakote models and look for a nitride. I think after the first year all were nitride finish.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.