The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently picked up a CVA Wolf. Mostly because I'll be doing some hunting in Allegheny County this year.

What loads would you guys suggest? Should I just buy what I can get my hands on? Hold out for some buckhorn? I got lucky one day at WalMart and they had 209 primers in stock.

My first trip to the range I might start with 100g 777 with either a 245 or 295 Powerbelt.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I used 2 50 grain 777 and a T/C shockwave in my CVA wolf when I used it. I have since switched to a T/C Omega and use 2 50 grain 777 along with a Harvester Muzzleloading Scorpion PT Gold with crush rib sabot. After making the switch they are they only choice for me.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
CVA's all seem to shoot Powerbelts very well... but if you're looking for more economical loads, it's hard to beat finding the right sabot and bulk bullet combo.
I use .430 300gr XTPs in a Harvester Crush Rib sabot over 2 777 pellets. Much better BC than full-bore loads (flatter shooting) and the controlled expansion guarantees an exit hole at the ranges I typically shoot (40-250 yards) A box of 50 XTPs typically costs me around $14, and 50 sabots another $6-$7... so ~$0.41/projectile vs $1+ for Powerbelts...
I do have speed tubes with 295gr HP Powerbelts on the sling, in case I need a quick/easy reload. This has come in handy when multiple doe pop up and aren't chased off by the first doe getting whacked. At 100 yards, they hit within 3/4" of the XTP/Sabots I use.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I used 100gr of loose T7 under a 245gr tipped Powerbelt, quite successfully, for several years. The only reason I changed is because I went to Blackhorn powder, and switched to sabots due to finding a bunch of the TC Shockwaves on clearance a few years back and now have a surplus of them.

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
I feel I am one of the last dinosaurs that still use 90 Gr. Goes FFG and a 460 Gr. No Excuses Maxi Ball. Killed many deer with that load with my H&R Sidekick .50 Inline muzzy. One day I may try a cleaner burning powder though or someday may be forced too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everybody for your suggestions. I picked up some 245 and 295 grain powerbelts for the range.

CVA's all seem to shoot Powerbelts very well... but if you're looking for more economical loads, it's hard to beat finding the right sabot and bulk bullet combo.
I use .430 300gr XTPs in a Harvester Crush Rib sabot over 2 777 pellets. Much better BC than full-bore loads (flatter shooting) and the controlled expansion guarantees an exit hole at the ranges I typically shoot (40-250 yards) A box of 50 XTPs typically costs me around $14, and 50 sabots another $6-$7... so ~$0.41/projectile vs $1+ for Powerbelts...
I do have speed tubes with 295gr HP Powerbelts on the sling, in case I need a quick/easy reload. This has come in handy when multiple doe pop up and aren't chased off by the first doe getting whacked. At 100 yards, they hit within 3/4" of the XTP/Sabots I use.
That wasn't something I had thought about. I'll keep my eyes out for some deals for next season. When I googled the sabots vs powerbelts several sites mentioned a drawback to the sabots is additional fouling due to the plastic from the sabot melting. Anybody notice that? Or is this just something the powerbelt people talk about to sell more powerbelts.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Thanks to everybody for your suggestions. I picked up some 245 and 295 grain powerbelts for the range.

That wasn't something I had thought about. I'll keep my eyes out for some deals for next season. When I googled the sabots vs powerbelts several sites mentioned a drawback to the sabots is additional fouling due to the plastic from the sabot melting. Anybody notice that? Or is this just something the powerbelt people talk about to sell more powerbelts.
I’ve never experience plastic fouling with any quality sabots (harvester or MMP)
I think the “advantage” to Powerbelts lies in them being slightly underbore and having a skirt with a much smaller bearing surface than a sabot. Makes them very easy to load. They’re soft lead that obturates when fired to fill the bore. Makes them accurate. Downside to that softness is if you push them too fast, penetration suffers big time. This is less, if not a non-issue in the 295gr and up.
Another Downside that my gang discovered the hard way is that in some bores, they’re so loose the only thing holding them on your powder is the skirt. Not an issue if you’re in a stand, or walk in, but if you ride in and out on an ATV with a gun rack, it can shake the bullet off the skirt. Best case, you fire a “blank”, worst case, you blow something up.
I caution everyone who uses them and rides in to recheck their seating after every ride and any “rough” handling.

A proper fitting bullet/sabot combo will be snug loading, but snug is good. Almost impossible for it to shake loose, seals the bore better, and can get you slightly higher velocity for the same weight and charge.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
In my CVA Wolf I use 90grs. loose T7 3f and a Barnes 250gr. T-EZ bullet. This load will group about 1 inch at 100 yards. Next year I'm going to play around with some .458-300gr. Sierra HP bullets I load in my 45/70. I've got some MMP sabots they make just for .458 diameter bullets, might even try some 400gr. lead cast bullets.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
In my CVA and Encore, for years I used 200 gr Shockwaves over 100 gr BH209. Now that bear is a consideration, I switched to a Hornady 300 gr SST over 110 gr of BH209.

·
Registered
923 Posts
In my wolf and other muzzleloader I use the hunting load is 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 and Barnes spit fire t-ez 290 grain bullet. I took a doe at 110 yards off hand with this load and all the doe did was flip and she was done. For siteing in purposes we use Hornady 300 grain sst. These are cheaper so we get the guns close and then finish with the Barnes. We use Harvester crush rib sabots. We stopped using power belts years ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts