The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All-With the pending legislation allowing bear's to be hunted with a muzzleloader during the early season, I am looking for some advice/recommendations for a load/bullet combination for black bear. I currently own a CVA Optima V2.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I use my own cast 405gr RNFP 45-70 bullet in a MMP Orange sabot in my inline and flintlock over a charge of Blackhorn 209. Flintlock is a duplex load. Five gr of 3f under the Blackhorn charge.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
My load for bear will be 110 grains of BH209 pushing a Barnes 290 grain .451 290 grain Spit-Fire T-EZ FB. I killed a 300 lb TN Wild Boar with this load and it penetrated both armor plates and exited far side with massive devastation. More than enuff for bear.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My bear load is a Hornady 45 cal. 300 grain ( non magnum) XTP in a Harvester crush rib sabot over 90 grains of 3f Swiss black. 1600 fps over my chronograph, from a 26 inch barrel.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
X2 I don't know how Powerbelt sells so many bullets I've had bad results and tried more than one of their bullets

Yeah, my father and brother have been using these on deer and the last few they shot they have not had any pass throughs and very little blood.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
My load for bear will be 110 grains of BH209 pushing a Barnes 290 grain .451 290 grain Spit-Fire T-EZ FB. I killed a 300 lb TN Wild Boar with this load and it penetrated both armor plates and exited far side with massive devastation. More than enuff for bear.

I shoot the same Barnes bullet pushed by two 50 grain 777 pellets. Bang flop on 2 does with that combo...one was 110 yards.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I only have kill experiences on 3 deer using Powerbelts. It was about 10-12 years ago with a CVA OptimaPro. I was shooting 348 grain AeroTop Powerbelts and achieved 3 quick kills on one nice 8PT and 2 doe. All were complete pass throughs(lungs) with all 3 deer dropping within 10-20 yards after hit. On bear though I'd be more comfortable with a bonded lead or all copper bullet such as a Barnes.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I've been killing deer with the 300 grain Barnes Expander MZ in my Omega for a few years now. After less than ideal bloodtrails from several different bullets I've found a keeper. They are pure devestation on whitetails and can't imagine they wouldn't perform well on bears.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Looks like Barnes would be a winner. I use 300 gr. Sierra .458 HP bullet seated in a Harvester .458 - 50 caliber Sabot and 100grs. 2F Triple 7 powder in my CVA Optima V2. This gives me about the same as my 45/70.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts