The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any areas of PA where there are infrared camera flyover to determine deer densities?

·
Registered
260 Posts
The army corp of engineers did do it twice annually at raystown. They used to have it published on their website. They would do it before and after rifle season.

I can no longer find it, but it had been within the past 6 years that I saw the studies. They had actual clusters mapped out on a topo where they found the deer during the study.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Dan W York 5B said:
Opening day rifle had choppers flying low all day for some reason. Infrared hunter densities? LOL!
Funny you should say this. We had the same issue this year around mine and my buddies place. Choppers flying all over the place, all day. They touched down on a couple farms near my friends place and uniformed officers were seen entering the woods. I heard they were busting people who were hunting over bait and not wearing orange. I observed the choppers flying over my neighbors house 4 different times. I swear i saw a drone fly over head on another day as well.

·
Registered
25,518 Posts
I swear i saw a drone fly over head on another day as well.
You'll know they're really getting serious about cracking down, when them drones start firing hail-fire missles into the woods around the baiters.

Corps of Engineers biologist Jeff Krause did several IFR studies at Raystown years ago and many dismissed them at the time. When he brought the results to a PGC meeting, many out in the lobby claimed those images could be of anything.

So why spend money/effort on doing studies when so many refuse to believe the results?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
It managed the herd very well in Promised Land State Park. The studies showed the area had the highest deer density of any area they flew over in the state. They issued DMAP tags galore.

You should be able to figure out the rest of the story.

However, the undergrowth has taken off near our cabin. No doubt about what the problem was.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont believe the results would be comparable from many years ago.......

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Infrared technology is getting to be old technology. It's been used by wildlife agencies, but they came late to the party.
PA will use the technology because it makes counting deer more accurate. It just a matter of budgeting a newer technology.
Had a customer thirty-five years ago or so. I worked for an advertising company that had a client that used infrared technology to measure heat escaping from homes or buildings. Wildlife agencies are merely using heat escaping from deer.
Similar wildlife Use:
http://blog.nature.org/science/2014/11/1...s-conservation/

·
Registered
18,295 Posts
and not one mountain lion or bigfoot was spotted either.

·
Registered
431 Posts
You mean to tell me our supposedly broke game commission was flying helicopters around looking for baiters;not buying that
They wont do an infra red study here because if truth was known about true deer numbers in my area, no one in their right mind would bother hunting deer.It only takes a few walks in the woods with snow to realize true deer numbers for an area.You cant expect our gc officers to get out of their trucks do even do this;shameful.I hunt a lot of western states and out there they actually care about REAL game numbers and tag allocations.I can only dream it may happen here someday.I'd be surprised if hickory run had more then 30 deer in the entire park that's open to hunting.I'm constantly out in the woods there and can tell you I'm just as likely to find a mt lion or bigfoot track in the snow as I am a deer track.The local gamelands are just as bad if not worse.Hunters numbers have dropped way off except in a couple spots but the deer aren't rebounding as they should be.Personally,I think the yotes are having a field day when fawns start dropping,but the gc denies that as well.I don't know how they know whats going on in these woods when in over 20 years up being up here I have yet to see a gc officer in the woods,only driving around in trucks.So how do they come up with doe tag numbers when no infra red studies or boots on the ground????

·
Registered
25,518 Posts
Other than the early Raystown area FLIR studies done by the Corps of Engineers, the other studies were done by DCNR over SF lands.

PGC may have contributed some funding where studies overlapped on some SGLs, but DCNR paid the majority of the costs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts