The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's a Mass. colonial copper.

Apparently there is only one original known to exist. But there where copies produced.

·
Administrator
14,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Longie said:
It's a Mass. colonial copper.

Apparently there is only one original known to exist. But there where copies produced.

Hmmmmm,

Well how do I find out?

I found it 22" down in one of my "honey holes" on an old family homestead that has produced stunning finds over the past 25 years.

·
Registered
807 Posts
You found that at 22" deep, wow all i can say is i would go to a coin dealer see what they say. I found several spanish coins around that time of year at 6"-8" but they all had "copy" on the back of the coin. You might have something there.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
If you notice, the example you provided in the second link, has a "CP" on the front of the coin. I assume meaning "Copy" ? The one he posted does not have a CP on the front of the coin. He may have found the second known example of that coin ?

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
There was one authentic coin struck, and it is in a museum. There were thousands(unknown exactly how many) of counterfeits struck that same year. They have been found from Maine to South Carolina by treasure hunters on another forum. They are "real" but not "authentic US legal tender" as of which there is and was only one. This would be categorized as a REAL PERIOD COUNTERFEIT and one heck of a cool find. Even these sell for a few hundred bucks

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
There was one authentic coin struck, and it is in a museum
So, there can never be 2 or more of this coin ? ALL coins found like this, have to be facsimiles of the one in the museum ? What was the reasoning behind only one single coin being struck ?

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Fleroo said:
There was one authentic coin struck, and it is in a museum
So, there can never be 2 or more of this coin ? ALL coins found like this, have to be facsimiles of the one in the museum ? What was the reasoning behind only one single coin being struck ?
I will try to find the article, I read it many years ago in a magazine so could be tough. Apparently the design was made by Paul Revere and immediately stolen, sold and counterfeited before production could even begin on the legal coins. Also a copper shortage came up in 1776 so the 1cent coin was going to be scrapped anyway, replaced with what I believe was a 1/2cent shilling? The prototype was the only one considered real and therein priceless, even though rumors said there were 2 originals made but that may have been 1penny and 1 half penny......hmmm

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
no mention of the theft/counterfeiting but here is the excerpt from Walter Breen's book, 1988

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Have you weighed it? I think the real one was 198 grains.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts