The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know moose outfitters have been on here several times, but I am looking for information specific to Parsons Pond Outfitters in Newfoundland. I picked up their brochure at the outdoors show and others have recommended them. I am starting to plan ahead for 2017. Thanks for any info you can provide!

·
Super Moderator
4,879 Posts
I have not personally hunted with them, but have hunted Newfoundland 10 times. This I can say with certainty, they are nowhere near the 95 to 97 % success that they claim on moose.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I hunted with them. . My issues were -
. We booked 2 yrs in advance and wanted to hunt with archery. Roger sold us on his ability to get us good bulls in the 40-45 inch range. They were common. Upon arrival our guides (1v1) were shocked we had bows. Between the 4 of them they had never guided anyone with archery gear. They were not interested in starting. The first day we hunted my guide ducked in the brush when he heard a plane. "Season doesent actually start until tomorrow"..???????!!!!!! Later that day we saw a small bull. I wouldn't shoot it. Both because of the size and because the season was not open. The guide was pretty disappointed. We ha a good talk about my expectations and what Roger had told us about bull size. My guide said Roger was full of it. Yes they occasionally get good bulls. Not regularly. On the ferry ride I talked to a guy headed to one of there other camps. I talked to him on the way home. He was very happy having shot a good bull, woodland caribou and a bear. He drove around on the edge of a park all week waiting for them to leave the park. To each his own I guess

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Chester. I am back and forth on this because this is the most expensive trip I am planning to book to date. I have some really good references for this place. These include references not supplied by parsons pond. All are by rifle hunters though which is what I plan to do.

Big brownie, while I am new to this, many outfitters claim to at 90% or higher....at least the ones I saw at the show or on the Internet.

Just curious...how long is the ferry ride?

·
Super Moderator
4,879 Posts
The ferry runs twice a day, around midnight and near noon. It can be cancelled do to high seas. Three guys and a pick up truck was around 440, round trip. You can make reservations on line. You need to arrive for loading 2 hours early. We were in line at 9:45 pm at Port Aux Basque for midnight crossing, ferry docked at 7:30 am in North Sydney .By the time you're unloaded, it was 8:15 am. It's a time consumer, need to figure at least 10 hours for that leg of the safari. I prefer flying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts