The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On wed. my beagle stripe had a strange swelling on the side of his face.. I could not get him to the vet till 10 am. today . The vet said it could be a spider bite ( His temp. was normal) or possibly an infection.He gave him a cortisone shot and antibiotic shot also. He gave Baytril. Hope they start working soon
here's a few pics

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
He does not look like a happy puppy. Congratulations to you for taking Stripe to the vet and having him treated. Please keep us posted on his condition.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Duke, I always give them a benadryl when they swell like that. If it's a spider bite it will be down in a few hours. If not it's an infection, usually in the lymph node. Get some clavamox and he'll be good in a few days.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm giving him baytril(enrofloxacin).He is finally drinking water now...vet said in 48hrs. the abcess might drain on it's own or have to be lanced.
hope he can eat tomorrow

·
Registered
49 Posts
about 3 weeks ago my siberian husky looked the exact same way. The front of her mouth and nose area was very swollen. I took her to the vet and he put her on amoxocillan (not sure how to spell that) for an infection and within 4 days she was back to normal

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's at the vet hosp. now. Kept throwing up any water he drank...which was very little. Not eating either. Vet said he might have other issues. I was concerned about dehydration so I took him in . Most likely going to lance the abcess and will do bloodwork also. I , nor the vet found any thing in his mouth Joe .....It could have been very small and not seen. He is my best beagle...hunts his heart out and listens well. Will find out more info sunday in the am. Hope he can eat ...he 's down to 23 lbs. and ribs are showing

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry to say stripe did not survive the nite
Most likely complications from lyme disease....[censored] ticks
I had given him doxycycline last yr. because he was drinking a lot of water . I thought he was doing better the past yr....drinking less and healthy. This abcess must have stressed his body too much and he is not in pain anymore. The hard will be burying him tomorrow
Like billy joel said "only the good die young" he was 5 yrs. old and in his prime. pics are from last sat.

·
Banned
437 Posts
duke--that [censored] man,
i try and stay away from the vets as much as possible,i dont have much faith in them from my own expirences and also from alot of posts on different sites.the one i have used lately seems pretty good and understands hunting dog problems

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Madcatter, this vet has been around a while. He said there were probably underlying issues.I.E. - lyme disease. I had 2 other beagles with the same symptoms die. Kidney failure from lyme disease. I have 2 beagles now that have lyme and were treated and are still doing Ok. The one is 12 yrs. and was diagnosed at 4 yrs. old. Still has lameness in the chest and can't hunt more than an hr. but is doing fine otherwise. The other shows no sign at all now.Lyme affects each dog differently and some live and others it attacks the kidneys ..at least in my experiences..

·
Registered
526 Posts
Mike, very sorry that you lost Stripe. These little dogs give us everything they have and it is very sad to lose one especially that young. Keep your chin up and remember all the good times you had with him.

·
Registered
178 Posts
So very sorry for your loss, and guys please learn the signs of lymes flair-ups in your hounds and retreat with Doxy. when needed. My one is lameness the other is a mean streak when run hard. I wish you the best and God Bless your buddy Stripe and may he run to his hearts content in bunny heaven!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts