The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I just returned from a deer hunt in Indiana. In my opinion, of all the “big deer states” Indiana is way underrated. We went with Muscatatuck Whitetails after meeting them at the Harrisburg show a couple of years ago.

It is a total family atmosphere, with great food, good company and a reasonable chance at a nice deer. Phil, Chris and Chris’s parents make everyone feel like family. They were all there at the lodge after every hunt with Chris’s dad telling old hunting stories and his mom in the kitchen cooking up a great meal. I even got a chance to sit down and play some video games with Chris’s son for a couple hours. They take limited amounts of hunters and don’t over hunt their properties. They took the time to show us maps, give us a tour of the 225 acre farm that we had to ourselves, show us the preset blinds and stands and just give us the general ins and outs of what to expect. Good, honest people. Heck, when we left Chris kept texting me to make sure we made it home okay.

As far as the hunt, with it being our first opportunity outside of PA, our expectations were to have some enjoyable father-son time and nothing more. While I was fortunate enough to take a nice buck, my best (which didn’t take much), we got to see lots of deer and some great rut action. The body size of these animals is something I just couldn’t comprehend after hunting central PA my whole life. The quality of the deer I saw at the local taxidermist was jaw dropping for me. It is now a great memory I will always have and I hope to recreate again in a couple years with my dad and hopefully I can get my brother to come along as well.

·
Registered
13,394 Posts
Thanks for the report, it sounds like you fellows had a great time and a successful hunt. Were you archery, rifle / shotgun or MZ hunting?

I would have liked to see your buck, a lot of us on here appreciate the smile on a hunters face with his kill much more than the size of the trophy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the report, it sounds like you fellows had a great time and a successful hunt. Were you archery, rifle / shotgun or MZ hunting?

I would have liked to see your buck, a lot of us on here appreciate the smile on a hunters face with his kill much more than the size of the trophy.
We did a rifle hunt. They offer bow and muzzleloader as well. I’ll have to get them to send me a picture of me with the deer. In all the excitement I never thought to have them snap a pic of me with my phone. Shortly after the shot a couple more bucks came out in the field looking for the doe he was with. Very cool to witness.
Organism Grass Fawn Plant Rodent

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Congrats on the buck and the hunt. Indiana is a great place to hunt. I’ve hunted a buddies lease there and had a great time. Big bodied deer as compared to PA for sure. Even the does are big.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts