The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I’m new to the Indiana area and never hunted the area just wondering if anyone has any info on places to get into the woods. I know there’s a few decent sized game lands around are any better than others or have less pressure? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Time to wear out some boot leather. Hike those game lands and look for mast producing white oaks right now. Other than that, knock on some farmers doors after scouting out potential properties online and see if you can get permission. A little late for that approach though. Also, look for co-op properties within easy driving distance and see if you can get permission to hunt those. Good luck. I don't hunt that area so I can't be more helpful than the above.

·
Registered
22,663 Posts
We hunted for years on SGL 76, which is right over the border in Cambria.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I grew up around Indiana (i.e. Shelocta). A significant portion of the areas I used to hunt are now littered with yellow signs. That being said I can point you in the right direction of a few decent spots.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I grew up around Indiana (i.e. Shelocta). A significant portion of the areas I used to hunt are now littered with yellow signs. That being said I can point you in the right direction of a few decent spots.
Thanks for the reply! I’m not sure how or if you can private message on here but I’d like to find out a little more about that area! Thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I’m not sure how or if you can private message on here but I’d like to find out a little more about that area! Thanks
My BIL has some land around the Dixonville area. Lot of posted land around there also where we hunt allot of poaching and outlaws. Deer herd not what is was a few years ago.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I used to hunt sgl 248 around two lick creek reservoir. Mostly in flintlock but we always saw deer. Seemed to have lots of land that you gotta walk into so shouldn’t be too pressured. Also lots of terrain changes to key in on some funnels. Tomorrow is a nice wet day to do some walking.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Some great hunting in those parts. I went to IUP and shot what is still my biggest archery buck from a permission farm about 20 minutes from campus. I can't be of much help since it's been about 15 years, but my advice would be the same no matter where you go in the country:

• Keep your ears open when talking with friends, work colleagues, parents of your kids friends (if you have kids), etc. about potential opportunities. I got my access to that farm mentioned above through someone I worked with at Indiana CC. He mentioned he grew up in Indiana, my antenna went up, I asked him if it was on a farm, he said yes and eventually he got permission from his family for me to hunt there.
  • Lots of public land. Scout the cars and the access routes of other people hunting it, then figure out from there where a deer would escape/hide out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts