The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just some helpful advice. If a so-called friend asks if you would like to eat an indian turnip or anything else used to describe a small onion shaped root. Do not eat. I know Im breaking tradition but after what I had to deal with last weekend, I wouldnt even have one of my enemies eat that thing.

·
Registered
36,758 Posts
A bear guide in New Brunswick pulled the old Indian radish trick on me. They were laughing their heads off!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: "Indian Turnip"

I never heard of that but I am curious of what they said to you to get you to eat something that you had no clue what it was.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It really didnt take much for me to eat it at all. The person that actually handed me the "turnip" was my buddies 70 some year old father. I peeled off the outer layer of skin and dirt and smelled it. It just smelled like dirt and I asked him if he wanted a piece. He quickly said no, I dont like it. I asked him what it tasted like because I said it smelled like dirt and he said yeah, dirt.

Well, I popped the whole thing in my mouth and chewed it up. Their eyes got huge (They both only took a very small bite of the root when they were tricked) I found out a few seconds later when it felt like I was chewing on needles why he didnt want any. My mouth hurt for 2 days afterwards. Now they all joke and say I'll never trust that old man again.

·
Registered
36,758 Posts
I don't even know how somebody could injest it, it's so vile. One small bite and it felt like I just had a shot of battery acid.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It would be pretty easy to swallow it. The one I ate was about the size of a small onion bulb that you would plant in your garden and i had chewed it up into pulp...I definately swallowed some of the juice because it made my throat hurt. Intense pain followed for about an hour afterwards, which really put a damper on the night, then for the next 2 days it felt like i had ulcers underneath my tongue and in my throat. It could be fatal, but you would have to eat alot. Usually one time is enough, I know I wont try it again.

Also, the plant is easy to find right now...Look for a long stem with a clump of bright red berries at the top. Marshy areas. Now that I know what it is.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
What kind of person would even suggest someone to eat it if it is fatal. I ate a poison mushroom about a month ago and then drank 1 beer. I [censored] near died that day.

·
Registered
12,523 Posts
as a kid we got my cousin to try those little 1/4 inch round "smart pills" that rabbits distribute.

I also knew a guy that kept one of those natural dog whistles. You know, each male raccoon has one.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ouch - can't say I have had this trick played on me, but thanks for the warning!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts