The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.firstpost.com/india/shoot-tig...rds-318247.html

Alarmed by poaching in the state’s tiger reserves, the Maharashtra government has promised to provide forest guards with more weapons and said they could shoot-at-sight in the event that they found poachers in forest areas.

“The death caused by preventive shooting will not be treated as offence under the Indian Penal Code. We have made a legal provision to safeguard our staff from any excesses by so-called human right activists,” Maharashtra forest minister Patangrao Kadam told reporters yesterday.

“Human rights groups come in the way if there is any such action, but there is need to save the tigers,” he was quoted as saying by the Indian Express.

Maharashtra reportedly has over 160 tigers in protected reserves. Reuters

“If the staff spots poachers committing an offence, they have been given orders to shoot on sight. They should sound a warning asking them to surrender, however if the poachers fail to do so, they should be shot,” said Kadam.

The minister’s decision came after two tigers were found killed by poachers in the Chandrapur district of Maharashtra while another was found trapped by poachers and is in failing health.

Maharashtra reportedly has 169 tigers and most of them inhabit three tiger reserves in Vidarbha region

However, whether this will be a very effective means to stem the recent poaching of tigers isn’t certain.

Despite the Forest Department arming some of its staff with guns since 2002, they are meant for self protection and are not very sure of how much immunity they are entitled to if they do use them against poachers.

It doesn’t help that most of the forest department employees have not been trained in the use of guns and out of 11,000 only 1,000 have received training, the Times of India reported.

“We have prioritized it. Weapons and training will be given to staff posted in highly sensitive and vulnerable bordering areas and now in tiger sensitive areas,” the report quoted unnamed forest officials as saying.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
If this is what it takes to save a species that is on the brink, I'm all for it.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Thay have been doing that in Africa for years. They still have poachers.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
John S said:
Thay have been doing that in Africa for years. They still have poachers.
But, how many rethink taking up poaching as a career?

if they weren't shooting, don't you think they'd have even MORE poachers?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The thing is, desperate people will do whatever they must do to survive. People born in poverty and conditions like you have never seen are willing to risk death to make a couple of dollars, they are also willing to deal death to those who try to stop them. Obviously I don't side with poachers, all I am saying is they have been killing poachers for quite a while in Africa, they still have poachers, people who live with death on a daily basis, aren't all that scared of it.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Exactly. We view the actions of these folks through our "eyes" and don't understand. Just like the suicide bombers...dying is no big deal.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
John S said:
The thing is, desperate people will do whatever they must do to survive. People born in poverty and conditions like you have never seen are willing to risk death to make a couple of dollars, they are also willing to deal death to those who try to stop them. Obviously I don't side with poachers, all I am saying is they have been killing poachers for quite a while in Africa, they still have poachers, people who live with death on a daily basis, aren't all that scared of it.
These people probably aren't starving, they are out to make a quick buck, just like a drug dealer.

My parents were raised in the Depression, dirt poor, did they commit crimes to survive? No.

Poachers in PA are not starving people, but they are criminals, just like the ones in India.

I don't buy your argument at all. Doesn't wash with your past postings when it comes to poor people in this country.

Shoot them. Make it dangerous enough for them, and SOME will think twice about the "reward" of their crimes. I sometimes think if we shot drug dealers in this country if we wouldn't have less of them.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No Dutch, it doesn't go with my posts about poachers in PA because there are enough programs and charities that people in this state don't have to go hungry or naked. However it appears you don't now much about the abject poverty on certain classes of people in India, the poor in the US would be millionaires compared to them. I am not making excuses for Tiger poachers, I am telling you why killing them is not going to stop poaching in India.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Dutch said:
John S said:
These people probably aren't starving, they are out to make a quick buck, just like a drug dealer.

My parents were raised in the Depression, dirt poor, did they commit crimes to survive? No.

Poachers in PA are not starving people, but they are criminals, just like the ones in India.

I don't buy your argument at all. Doesn't wash with your past postings when it comes to poor people in this country.

Shoot them. Make it dangerous enough for them, and SOME will think twice about the "reward" of their crimes. I sometimes think if we shot drug dealers in this country if we wouldn't have less of them.
I'm gonna have to agree with John wholeheartedly on this. Lancaster could be one of the more affluent counties in PA, I don't know, but I can show you many areas in Fayette and Greene counties that are completely depressed. What that makes for, are completey uneducated, impoverished people, that have no qualms breaking a law in order to better their current position in life. Killing an animal out of season would be the least worrisome crime these folks attempt, and they know full well the penalties for armed robbery, assault, or shooting Bambi. They simply don't care, but in most cases, their mental capacity precludes them from making rational decisions.

At one point, Fayette County was one of the most illiterate counties IN THE COUNTRY. From what I've seen recently, there isn't much going on there to better that record.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Loggy1512 said:
they need to add trespassers to this...
There are laws in this state for trespassing. Run down the trespasser take there picture and call the PSP.
Even if laws are changed nobody is going to police your land, it is your job.
Go gettem tiger.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Fleroo said:
Dutch said:
John S said:

I'm gonna have to agree with John wholeheartedly on this. Lancaster could be one of the more affluent counties in PA, I don't know, but I can show you many areas in Fayette and Greene counties that are completely depressed. What that makes for, are completey uneducated, impoverished people, that have no qualms breaking a law in order to better their current position in life. Killing an animal out of season would be the least worrisome crime these folks attempt, and they know full well the penalties for armed robbery, assault, or shooting Bambi. They simply don't care, but in most cases, their mental capacity precludes them from making rational decisions.

At one point, Fayette County was one of the most illiterate counties IN THE COUNTRY. From what I've seen recently, there isn't much going on there to better that record.
People in these counties are on welfare eating good, they have no reason to even hunt anymore, why do you think we are loosing hunters?
Who wants to eat tainted deer meat?
And all the work involved in getting a deer to the dinner table is to much work for them.
So they claim they are illiterate as you say and receive disability, health insurance and all.
It has nearly cut down poaching, coyotes are filling there spot and not many hunters crying about poachers are LEGALLY trying to curb the coyote population.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
People in these counties are on welfare eating good, they have no reason to even hunt anymore, why do you think we are loosing hunters?
Who wants to eat tainted deer meat?
And all the work involved in getting a deer to the dinner table is to much work for them.
So they claim they are illiterate as you say and receive disability, health insurance and all.
It has nearly cut down poaching, coyotes are filling there spot and not many hunters crying about poachers are LEGALLY trying to curb the coyote population.

While you've aptly described flaws in our fine liberal social programs, it's not quite on the money. Those folks don't "claim" to be illiterate, they are flat out ILLITERATE. Trust me, I know the difference between Africa hungry, and impoverished U.S. hungry, and know there is quite the difference. Most people in those countries would feel like kings if they even had the chance to dumpster dive. Our illiterates wheel and deal their handouts for drugs. Drugs are THE #1 epidemic, and cause for social dysfunction that we have. It's more prevalent today than any other point I know of in my life. The stuff out there today makes people completely desperate...... but that's another issue... albeit related.

And what is "tainted Deer meat" ?

·
Super Moderator
26,651 Posts
That's what the people who claim there are no deer left say. "Taint no deer 'round here!"

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Oh ok. I thought tainted Deer meat might be the meat that doesn't contain the wonderful additive, "Pink Slime".

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Dutch said:
John S said:

Plenty of people poached during the depression. I asked my Grandpa all about it when he was still with us.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Dutch said:
If this is what it takes to save a species that is on the brink, I'm all for it.

The species isn't on the brink. In some regions in India Tigers are in short supply but in others the populations are burgeoning. Just like Lions, Leopards, and Elephants in Africa are. If you only get your information from the US Fish & Wildlife Service you don't understand this though.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
You're painting with a pretty broad brush savage axis. I hope hard times never hit you or yours and force you to make some hard decisions. If you ever walk a mile in their shoes you might think different.

·
Registered
22,041 Posts
I reckon we will find out after the first case of CWD gets confirmed in PA.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts