The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Five of us plus my wife as picture taker traveled to Northwest Colorado to once again hunt elk with Elk Ridge Outfitters. There would also be a 6th hunter in camp - a wounded warrior hunting on a hunt donated by the landowner Tri State Energy, This land is an active coal mine in areas.
We would be the third group in camp this year.
The first two groups had done well, both going 3 for 4 hunters, but 90 deg plus heat the first week and high winds the second had reduced rut activity.
We had it perfect - full moon beginning to wane, frosty mornings and warm afternoons meant that the elk would be coming to water early.
This is a large property 34,000 acres enrolled in the Colorado Ranching for Wildlife program for the last 28 seasons.
Meaning special seasons, private land , and the ability to use a rifle in the rut.
We have hunted it every two or three years since 1996.

The bugling action was explosive and we all took 6X bulls in 3 days. An incredible experience.

My shot was 250 yards with my wife at my side running the rangefinder.
We spotted the bull in the morning going to bed and set up on him in the afternoon. He read the script and came out about 5 PM.
Me and the wife. first pic, wounded warrior 6th pic.

Attachments

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Great hunt, great post. Congrats!

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Great post and awesome pics. Looks like a great hunt for all of you. Congrats to all the hunters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts