The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second year trapping and so far it's been disastrous. The rain but the brakes on me early and this week it's been cold and I set up a small line of first holes. Just wondering if the fox are still moving in these single digit nights. I have had my line out since Sunday and I am in prime untrapped area and haven't caught a fox yet. I think I need to read a book on trap location also cuz I think everywhere looks good lol. How long should I let my sets sit until I start resenting them

·
Registered
999 Posts
Unless they have a meal stashed or can feed on a kill of some kind they will run every night. The last one I caught was caught on a -12 degree night with 3 in of blowing snow.
Made for a pretty picture too. It had just stopped snowing.

·
Registered
423 Posts
cabled three off of one farm yesterday and cabled another one today. Seems to be a lot of sign on these cold nights. I think they travel more and further when it is frigid because they need more food when the weather gets colder and food is a lot harder to come by than in the fall.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I cabled one yesterday n it was pretty frigid. I seen em moving right after dark tonight so I know they're moving!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I look forward to very cold, dry weather each season. Fox really seem to move under those conditions.

It was seven degrees here this morning and I caught four reds.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Lugnut said:
I look forward to very cold, dry weather each season. Fox really seem to move under those conditions.

It was seven degrees here this morning and I caught four reds.
don't listen to him ,he gets three or four every night

·
Registered
320 Posts
^lol seriously!!

Not trying to hijack the thread but Ive had a pretty dry spell lately too. Do you guys use more baits in dirt holes when its this cold out? I was doing good the last few weeks with gland lure and urine, but not gettig any activity except a big boar coon yesterday!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
99 sets to check today. All kinds, straw sets, dirtholes, walk throughs, scent sets, trenches. I like to throw as many different sets in as possible when the mercury dives.

I am taken to school each morning by fox and yotes. The trax just won't stop, and I can't let them rest. Still a few brave ones out there to skin yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts