The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are new at shooting one of these the primer will foul the little fire way to the powder shut ! It needs cleaned often to ?
Just thought i put this out there cause i learned the hard way.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
2 years ago I shot a nice 8 point with my inline in Maryland. When I tried to reload I couldn't get the primer out. I saw the deer get up and make it back into the woods as I was overlooking a powerline but I could not follow up the shot. I had to call the outfitter to come and get me as I was out of service. We did recover the buck the next day. To get the primer out we had to take the gun apart back at the truck and carefully pry it out which took about a half hour. Now when I clean my gun I soak the breech plug over night in solvent then scrub it with a copper brush.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
If you are new at shooting one of these the primer will foul the little fire way to the powder shut ! It needs cleaned often to ?
Just thought i put this out there cause i learned the hard way.

Nature of the beast. You will have the same issue with the nipple on a side lock percussion. Spent primer difficult to remove....debris from either the primer or powder creating a blockage. I carry a repair kit in the field. Tool to pry the spent primer off. Nipple wrench, new nipple, nipple pick. Snickers bar for my nerves. A CO2 discharger.

The percussion breach and nipple requires much attention in the cleaning process. I would guess an inline is no different.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I suggest carrying a 209 primer extractor for ease of reloading.
Usually you just can't reach in there and pluck the primer with your thumbnail.
But heed the good advice: A clean shootin' iron will generally serve you well.
Pretty much this. Most rifles come with a primer extractor. If not, they are fairly cheap. Mine is a small tool that holds several primers on it and has the extractor on one end. The other end is shaped to help put the unfired primer in place. And like was said; keep it clean and troubles are fewer.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
2 years ago I shot a nice 8 point with my inline in Maryland. When I tried to reload I couldn't get the primer out. I saw the deer get up and make it back into the woods as I was overlooking a powerline but I could not follow up the shot. I had to call the outfitter to come and get me as I was out of service. We did recover the buck the next day. To get the primer out we had to take the gun apart back at the truck and carefully pry it out which took about a half hour. Now when I clean my gun I soak the breech plug over night in solvent then scrub it with a copper brush.
why I shoot a flintlock, even goes off in the rain....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Shotgun primers vary in size. Find one that’s a better fit or do what I’ve done. Polish the inside of the primer pocket. Key is to have a slight crush on it to get a good seal with no blow by. Op, what gun gave you the issue with primer removal.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
A small cone type wire brush, on a dremel tool, really cleans the cup on the chamber side of the breech plug. On the primer side, a tight drill bit, turned by hand cleans that side. Then a small wire thru the hole itself. You can use the small wire brush on the whole plug, but you still need the wire and drill bit for the holes.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Are you using pellets or lose powder? I am using Blackhorn 209 and cci 209 magnum primers and have not had any issues at all. I havent had a primer get stuck using this combo.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Possibly using a O ring could help stop the blow by. If you go on western powders web site they explain it.
I would think if you have to use an O-ring to fix a problem, then you have a defective breech plug.
And the company has a poorly designed gun.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
The old Knight disc has the advantage there....as long as you don't lose/forget the priming tool/discs!:grin2:

Always a trade off. The newer guns are overall handier.......:smile_big:

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Need a tax stamp for that? LOL
I have a buddy that years ago made a butt stock for his 14" .35 Rem. Contender. It was a beaut, and hated to tell him the bad news. He hadn't a clue.....:surprise2:

Are BP rifles beholden to 16"? I never gave that one any thought....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts