The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking this up from another topic. Just idle curiosity. What is an in-line? Is it just a percussion cap single shot? Are they acceptable for use in the muzzle loading season?

·
Registered
919 Posts
A hybrid rifle built to reflect the definition of a muzzleloading rifle according to many states' game laws. In-line muzzleloaders are in many respects modern rifles using primitive technology. The rifles are loaded with black powder or Pyrodex via the muzzle and using a ramrod, but the powder is often pelletized and shooters often use saboted copper-jacketed bullets that would not otherwise be capable of loading in a muzzleloader. As well, the rifles use a modern "in-line" ignition system with a bolt that is similar to a high-powered rifle. The performance of an in-line muzzleloader is something between a primitive muzzleloader and a high-powered rifle.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Yes, in-lines are basically a percussion cap rifle reconfigured from sidelock to where the cap is in-line with and connected to the powder charge by a short, straight touchhole in the breechplug. As designed have evolved, 209 shotgun primers replaced percussion caps. The hotter 209s are better at igniting newer black powder substitutes that come in powder or pellet form. Some have even played with using rifle primers and some guns have been designed to safely use gun powder (Savage ML10).

In-lines can be used in PA to hunt deer during the October antlerless muzzleloader season and in regular season. So far, the primitive flintlock season remains flintlock-only.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gentlemen! I do not have a muzzleloader and due to a spinal cord injury I cannot pull a bow so.... Maybe the in-line is the compromise that will permit me to hunt the early season. Or ... I guess... a flintlock would be a primitive that I could use in both the early season AND the later - primitive weapon season... Huh??

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Get a flintlock and enjoy both seasons. In-lines are nothing more than a single shot rifle that happens to load from the muzzle so it can be defined as a muzzleloader.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I would suggest starting out with a cheap flintlock. You can hunt both seasons. I personally won't hunt with an inline. Just personal preference.

There are tons of good info on shooting flintlocks here on HPA. Read a bit and learn.

One thing to remember when hunting with a flintlock. It is not a rifle with a scope. Practice often.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts