The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we now have a camp in Ohio, I am looking at getting an in-line muzzleloader to use in both the gun season and the muzzleloader season. Not looking for the best, but just a good reasonably priced setup. For the kids, I would want something with a scope. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
CVA, with removable breech-plug. The Wolf with a scope for the Kids, and a nice Optima V2 thumbhole for You. Or one step better with the Accura!

All are quite reasonable as packages on GB and other weapon sites.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Having owned 5 or 6 including TC's, Knight, Marlin. and CVA, the current best choice right now is the CVA Optima V2.
Remember you can order a muzzleloader and have it shipped to your door.

·
Registered
23,162 Posts
buy CVA optima. you can buy a more expensive one but you cant buy a more accurate one.

two pyrodex pellets and a 295 grain copper clad hollowpoint powerbelt. touching holes at 100 yards

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is the difference between the Wolf and Optima besides price? For strictly hunting purposes is it really worth the extra $$$

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have both, Both shoot well, wolf is lighter to carry.Optima and wolf both shoot vg, I had wolf first and optiima was on sale got it for backup. I really see not much differance between both.

Good luck, Stan

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
The Wolf is a 24" barrel, the Optima is 26" Longer barrel equates to accurate fire at a touch longer range than the Wolf. Or a touch better grouping at the same range.

Enough to make a major difference, no. If cost savings is a want, buy the Wolf.

If you do go Optima, make sure it is the V2. The first model does not have a knurled removeable breech-plug, and needs a wrench.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I absolutely love My Thompson Center Pro Hunter FX..it is strictly a muzzleloader where as the other pro hunters in the Thompson Center line have interchangeable barrels which makes the FX version cheaper..One of my most accurate guns

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I have a TC Omega X7...love shooting that gun more than any of my other irons! The X7 is a stainless/laminated carbine: great carry gun, but not made anymore! I have heard good reviews on the Omega Z5, it's not the top of the line TC so it might be an option for you if you're not looking to spend too much to get into muzzleloading.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Gents-

I've narrowed down to buying either a CVA Optima V2 or Accura V2. Beside the barrel and a $200 difference, can anyone comment on PRO vs CON of these 2?

If the accuracy is noticeably better, I'd happily spend the extra $$.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get yourself a TC Strike! Super Easy to clean. Very accurate. They were the first in muzzleloader innovation and they did it again with their new TC Strike.

·
Administrator
39,067 Posts
Retired_Rusty said:
CVA, with removable breech-plug. The Wolf with a scope for the Kids, and a nice Optima V2 thumbhole for You. Or one step better with the Accura!

I'll second this...only thing is i shoot the wolf!

·
Registered
477 Posts
After owning 7 different in-lines since Pennsylvania started the October season, I would recommend a LHR Redemption. Mine will shoot a single hole using Blackhorn 209 and 300 grain Nosler bullet. I wish they would have never sold out to TC.

·
Registered
249 Posts
great white hunter said:
Retired_Rusty said:

I'll second this...only thing is i shoot the wolf!
x3 and the wolf isn't just for the kids

1 - 20 of 24 Posts