The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I stumbled across a blind that was so well hidden that I must have walked by it 10 times and not once did it catch my eye. So I went over to check it out and it was posted with no trespassing signs with Tom's name, address, phone number, and email.

This struck me as odd for a few reasons:
1. There is confusion about who owns the land to get to the water, so I don't believe his signage had any authority
2. There quite a few other blinds in the area without any identification

But, considering the effort that went into scouting the spot, building the structure, and hiding it so well that I almost tripped over it before I saw it, I decided to respect his wish and carry on for my hunting hole.

After trying a few other areas, I still had that blind in the back of my head, what a setup, and so close to home. As I grew more and more frustrated and desperate, due to a lack of experience combined with a lack of ducks, today I finally decided to call Tom and strike up a conversation. And see if maybe I could hunt the same area on days that he couldn't make it out there or maybe hunt it together. I had my speech all planned put before I dialed because I didn't want to step on anybody's toes or get off on the wrong foot. Hoping for a friendly conversation, and even excited to maybe learn some stuff from an experienced hunter because luck hasn't been on my side this season bagging a single wood duck on opening day and coming home empty handed ever since.

Well I dialed. And the line was disconnected. Tried again just to be sure I got the number right. Disconnected.

Next step: google the name and address

Result: An obituary with the same name, I thought "what are the odds of it being the same guy? There's tons of Toms out there"

The date of birth for the googled Tom was April 16th 1947
The email address on the no trespassing signs was [email protected]

I quickly realized that Duck blind Tom was the same as googled Tom. The obituary read that he died suddenly at the age of 64 which hit home for me because my dad is the same age. So excitedly tracking this guy down, quickly turned to a bit of sadness for not getting to meet this guy who has probably been hunting the area long before I was born.

Tom's passing was on December 24th, 2011. Almost exactly a year to the day before I tried to call him today.

So on Monday morning, December 24th, I'm taking my brother on his first ever hunt and we'll be hunting in honor of Tom from the blind that he built with his own hands.

I may have never met the man, spoken to him, or know what he looks like, but he's taught a few things anyway. Do what you love every day because only god knows when it stops. And hunting is a hobby, it's a pastime, maybe even an obsession, but its a culture that I've learned to respect. So his love for hunting lives on in my mind

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Awesome post. Hope you grind em.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's probably true, I tried to be as vague as possible while still sharing the story. Maybe should have waited until afterwards... Well I'll just hope there are still some good people out there and there won't be a line of cars out there on Monday.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good story. I hope you don't run into too many hunters that grabbed your info from this post and are trying to find the same blind now. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
This is a great story.
There's no doubt in my mind that you'll be learning alot from Tom and his blind for many years to come.
Good Luck on Monday!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well if you found it and it is still camo'ed up then quite possibly someone else already hunts from that blind. I would try to contact the landowner and see what they say before I hunted the area.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Hold on here!!! I am Tom. I just can't find my blind? Can you refresh my memory?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Not to be a debby downer on this story by any means... It is great that you did your due dillagence to find the owner of the blind to try sharing a hunt. But just wanted to throw this out there. I can see where maybe if Tom had some sons that hunted with him as well and were home with Mom for Christmas, they might have a hunt planned for Christmas Eve in Dad's old blind. Thats why they might have brushed it up over the Thanksgiving holiday in preparation for a hunt on the anniversary of Dad's death. Im not saying that this is the case, but I would hope you would give his old hunting partner or family the blind even if they showed up after you on this particular day of the anniversary. If nobody shows up, best of luck to you, and thats a nice gesture hunting in Tom's memory.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
PSUbuzz said:
Not to be a debby downer on this story by any means... It is great that you did your due dillagence to find the owner of the blind to try sharing a hunt. But just wanted to throw this out there. I can see where maybe if Tom had some sons that hunted with him as well and were home with Mom for Christmas, they might have a hunt planned for Christmas Eve in Dad's old blind. Thats why they might have brushed it up over the Thanksgiving holiday in preparation for a hunt on the anniversary of Dad's death. Im not saying that this is the case, but I would hope you would give his old hunting partner or family the blind even if they showed up after you on this particular day of the anniversary. If nobody shows up, best of luck to you, and thats a nice gesture hunting in Tom's memory.
You cant live life always avoiding "what if" situations. I do agree though if family shows up, I would offer to leave.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If one of his buddies or family show up, the spots theirs without a doubt, no questions asked. It's the right thing to do. Especially on Christmas Eve

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Buk_Huntir said:
You cant live life always avoiding "what if" situations. I do agree though if family shows up, I would offer to leave.
I 2nd the motion.

You did the "right" thing and maybe talk to the land owner, but go for it and if someone shows up, well tell them your story. Maybe they will ask you leave, ... maybe they'll invite you. In the end ..... you took something way with you that you didn't have before ...... a good memory.

Let us know how you made out.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I think anyone that finds a blind constructed on public property should consider the person who built it to be dead. The finder should then proceed to hunt out of it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
vincentpa said:
I think anyone that finds a blind constructed on public property should consider the person who built it to be dead. The finder should then proceed to hunt out of it.
Well I guess then I've must have fallen into that category. Some one hunted out of my blind yesterday on the river.
I guess I'm gonna have to make a big sign and put on it.
"I'm Alive" and see if that helps deter people. lol

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Had people hunt my blind when I'm not there and when spoke too just told them to leave it in the same condition they found it. Sad story for sure and good luck hunting it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Aaronk, I work for a funeral director and there are 2 possible ways to contact Toms family. First if you can find his obit, it should list survivors and the funeral home in charge of his funeral. You can then try to contact the survivors or call the funeral director to either give you their whereabouts or have him call them to contact you. Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts