The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the other nite i was at a nite hunt and the dog i was running sliced one of her foot pads open pretty good...whole foot was red and it was bleeding good...wasnt huge but kinda deep...i withdrew right then n there...one of the guys in the cast gave me some EMT gel to use...

anyways, it got me thinkin...i should probably carry some first aid supplies for the dog...something small like a tube of EMT gel in the field...and maybe a little more for in the truck incase im out of town and the dog needs a little more to get her home or to a vet...

any ideas on what i should carry with me in the field?? somethin small that will help temporarily close a wound/stop bleeding etc...and something more to keep in the truck...

stuff happens...im just normally close enough to the farm its not a big deal...till the other nite....lots of things for them to get cut on..fences, garbage, glass etc...or a coon or yote gets em pretty good etc...id like to be somewhat prepared just incase...

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would only add-a good blanket back in truck. i know some guys have an IV in truck and know how to use it . Sounds silly to some but if its your dog that gets seriously hurt (hit by car, shot or something else off the wall you would be grateful to have it.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Another good thing to have is Vet wrap or horse wrap. It is the "Ace" bandage that sticks to itself. It holds real tight and you dont need tape and is flexable. I carry a wide roll and small roll in my vest kit. I also have another couple of rolls in my "Shock Trauma" kit I carry in my vehicle when hunting with the dogs.
Lion Country Supply has just about everything you need.

·
Registered
785 Posts
blood stop power and crazy glue for cuts

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have a deluxe kit sold from most suppliers, then I add ever thing I may need, skin stapler and extra staples,syringes,peroxide,several sets of hemostats,wire cutters,duct tape sterile water and saline solution, etc.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good stuff guys! thanx alot!!

my buddy is a farmer...he got tons of stuff at the house...but that dont help me when im outta town like i was when she got cut...

so hard to narrow down a few items to carry on me that will atleast get us outta the woods...some antiseptic stuff or something to clean a cut, gauze or a bandage, an ointment like EMT gel and Vet wrap will get us outta the woods with most minor cuts and stuff id imagine..i felt bad letting the dog walk out the other nite on a cut foot..but man...i couldnt have carried her as far away as we were...she still wanted to go huntin so i didnt feel too bad...

i doctored her up good when i got home and shes been walking on it since the next morning and is fine...gunna start hunting her wed...be back at the next hunt Saturday so long as shes still OK...

but opened my eyes that i should carry a couple items...or atleast have stuff in the truck...heck for MYSELF even...thats one thing i always said id do is get a decent first aid kit for myself and keep it in the truck...and im the kinda guy that is almost always prepared for anything...only thing i dont have in the truck is TOOLS (lol) and a first aid kit...always got spare clothes...when im hunting i ALWAYS got spare boots and anything i might need...got tow straps and stuff to get me unstuck...(truck is an 09 i couldnt work on it if i wanted too so tools arent a huge worry lol..) but no first aid kit for me or the dog...i'll get one setup for the dog..and if i need it it'll all fix me up too lol..could even setup an IV like was said as i do know how from being around the farm...ive seen the same operation a couple times on cows that i think i could pull it off myself lol...

weird that im a pack rat and always the guy people come to coz they know i always pack tons of "un-needed" stuff and dont carry a first aid kit for me or the dogs i hunt...spoiled/lucky that im either within a few minutes of the farm or nothin serious has ever happened i guess...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Just picked up some powder today at Tractor Supply. Yesterday my beagle pup was running around in the yard and i have no idea what she did, but she came back to me all bloody. Turns out she cut her ear. I told my wife to get some flour and i put that on her to get the bleeding to stop. I read somewhere that you can use corn starch. Either way it worked and stopped the bleeding. I think im going to put together a first aid kit for the dogs. It cant hurt.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the bloodstop powder works miracles...my buddy is a farmer and goes through a bunch of the stuff...

even a thorn cutting the dogs ear can bleed like a stuck pig...ears bleed BAD..cut foot pads are bad..thats where we use alot of the blood stop..

i actually went to petsmart the other day...picked up some of the blood stop, some antiseptic stuff, a bottle of liquid bandage (we'll see how that works..hopefully well as dogs hate bandages!) and a couple rolls of vet wrap..a bottle of peroxide and some real bandages and i'll have enough to get the dog home or to a vet...

cant hurt to be prepared...it just never crossed my mind till last weekend when she cut her foot...

good news is she isnt laid up at all...she was walking on the foot the next morning...i doctored it up well that nite when i got her home and the next morning she was fine...took her hunting wed nite and she was on fire..

we'll be at another nite hunt tomorrow nite..

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
A couple of other things to add if you want are:

Honey: For Hypoglycemic, (low blood sugar in your dog.they act like they have been drinking)

Ice packs: for over heating of your dog:
I also carry a small tarp in case I have to make like a little pool or something to puddle up water if there are no streams around for cool down. They also can be used for a stretcher if needed to carry a dog.

Paint stirs: for splints

Benadryl; for stings and bites. ask your vet for dosage. or even get prednisone if they will give it to you.

Forcepts or clamps for a bleeding vessel that needs pinched.

These are just some things that I carry in addition to all of the other stuff mentioned. Most of us hunt away from the road and especially a vet. Better to have it then not!

Also, take the time to attend a vet. first aid class. Our RGS chapter had a dog taining seminar last year and we had a Vet come in and give us some training for "in field first aid".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts