The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's ready to touch one off!, come'on you know you're excited about the 26th of December. Who cares about Christmas, the only present under a pine tree for me is a bedded deer. Snow on the ground, 18 degrees, frozen toes, a mis-fire...why not. Iron sights, getting frustrated when they're out of range and you're at the point where you'd sell your soul for a 4X scope. Finding elaborate makeshift umbrellas to drape over your pan in the freezing rain. Getting to touch one off even if you didn't see jack, just because you have to unload it....spending the 30 minutes cleaning your barrel because you're paranoid of rust. Soaking in that beautiful aroma of sulfur smoke.

I try to fill my doe tag in rifle, but now when I don't it's great knowing you have an excuse to get up in the mountains for flintlock.

"Keep yer powder dry "

·
Registered
410 Posts
I don't shoot Does so I more or less take my gun for a walk. I killed enough with my flintlock in past years, I'm not knocking anybody who does but I don't feel the need anymore. To you guys that are going out, good luck and shoot straight.

·
Registered
183 Posts
No were are talking...only extreme hunters go out with the FLINT! I have harvested quite a few does with mine, but my best memory was my senior year of highschool (Jan 2003) when I made a hail mary shot (~80 yards) on a beautiful 8 point in Westmoreland Co. Probably one of my most memorable hunting moments of all time!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Might even buy my hunting license for the late season.... Already have a deer in the freezer. Its nice when your dad comes up from SC to fill your freezer for you

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
i cannot wait....something about really cold weather makes me wanna hunt a lot...and the deer coming through fresh snow....cant beat it im so excited...

9 of my 18 deer came with the flintlock

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
wampire said:
Snow on the ground, 18 degrees, frozen toes, ...................freezing rain.
Sounds like you hunted this week in Elk County! You need to move further north. You'll learn to watch what you ask for!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Oh yes.. Late Season Muzzleloader. By the first Tuesday of the Rifle season, i'm ready for Dec. 26. CHABANG!! College is out for the semester. Doesn't start back until Jan 11. 2 weeks of muzzleloader! GAME ON!

"He'd settle for a .30, but by god it was a genuine Hawkins"

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
killin time thats what im excited for too...no classes!! hunting everyday, and my girlfriend wants to come along...well see how quiet she can be haha

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
scott and stalk said:
killin time thats what im excited for too...no classes!! hunting everyday, and my girlfriend wants to come along...well see how quiet she can be haha
What college you go to?

·
Registered
523 Posts
can't wait for this season...i let stuff walk just so i have an excuse to go out in flintlock....curt lets get together come to my cabin lots of meat left for the taking...there will be at least 10 of us so you should join us!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
scott and stalk said:
flintlock season in the reasoni dont shoot does in rifle season
AMEN!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I used mine the whole rifle season. I couldn't wait for Flintlock season. 18 degrees, it was 8 with a wind chill of 5 below Friday. That'll make ya feel alive!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
wampire said:
Who's ready to touch one off!, come'on you know you're excited about the 26th of December. Who cares about Christmas, the only present under a pine tree for me is a bedded deer. Snow on the ground, 18 degrees, frozen toes, a mis-fire...why not. Iron sights, getting frustrated when they're out of range and you're at the point where you'd sell your soul for a 4X scope. Finding elaborate makeshift umbrellas to drape over your pan in the freezing rain. Getting to touch one off even if you didn't see jack, just because you have to unload it....spending the 30 minutes cleaning your barrel because you're paranoid of rust. Soaking in that beautiful aroma of sulfur smoke.

I try to fill my doe tag in rifle, but now when I don't it's great knowing you have an excuse to get up in the mountains for flintlock.

"Keep yer powder dry "
AMEN, there really is something about taking the flint out, even though I have yet to harvest a deer during flint season. It's not that I don't seem em, it's normally to far of a shot.

Dad bought me a T/C PA Hunter for Christmas when I was 14. I love the gun and shoots great but it's way too nice for me o take out and bang around anymore. I bought a Traditions PA Pellet that I really don't care what happens to it. The T/C will probably never see the woods again, even though it is a shooter.

My parents want me to spend some time with them after Christmas so I'm not sure that I'll get out the first day but the first Monday is sounding pretty good now......I'm pumped. I have yet to shoot a deer this year, maybe I'll get one in flint season.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
wampire said:

"Keep yer powder dry "
Great post, and good luck to you and all headed out after Christmas. We truely have a special season here in Pennsylvania, one I hope stays the way it is and never changed. Let's us reach down into our roots.

I wish I can join you guys...

I have to give in and get a doe tag next year for this season. I would just like to take one of the rocklocks for a walk... that feeling in itself is something I don't feel anywhere. Shot my first buck with the flinter, on a snowy January afternoon. What great memories...

Good luck to all of you and have fun!!!

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Sittin' on a log in the hemlocks with your long rifle across your knees on a cold crisp late Dec morning. The sun rising over a fresh layer of fluffy snow, listening and watching the world wake up. Ice hanging from your beard as you watch an ol' doe leading her fawns across an icy stream hoping a big ol' buck will follow them.
Man, it don't get any better than that, I can't wait

1 - 20 of 32 Posts