The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife called me the other day from work and surprised me with "hey, I'm taking you camping for your birthday!" So we are heading to a campground in Bradford right off of Route 59 on Friday and staying until Sunday. I'm wondering what things I should expect to do while I'm there. I really want to do some fishing obviously, but I'm not sure what species I should be looking to catch. I'm hoping to do a good amount of fly fishing, but I'll be taking spinning gear too. Can anyone suggest any good destinations up that way? Not looking for specific spots or giveaways, just some general advice on where to look for good fishing. I'll be doing some fishing on my own and some fishing with my wife and 3yo.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
So my wife called me the other day from work and surprised me with "hey, I'm taking you camping for your birthday!" So we are heading to a campground in Bradford right off of Route 59 on Friday and staying until Sunday. I'm wondering what things I should expect to do while I'm there. I really want to do some fishing obviously, but I'm not sure what species I should be looking to catch. I'm hoping to do a good amount of fly fishing, but I'll be taking spinning gear too. Can anyone suggest any good destinations up that way? Not looking for specific spots or giveaways, just some general advice on where to look for good fishing. I'll be doing some fishing on my own and some fishing with my wife and 3yo.
You have a fine wife to get a call like that,
I don't know what part of Bradford you are in but our cabin was just over the county line from Sullivan County and as such we did a lot of fishing and water stuff at Lake Jean @ Rickeets Glen State Park as well as the Loyalsock creeks.
I don't think anyone is going to give up there favorite native trout spots but a quick search on the fish commission website can point you in the right direction.
Good luck and have fun,

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I just realized that Bradford, the town where we are staying, is across the state from Bradford County, and that in fact we will be staying in McKean county (you can see how familiar I am with the rest of my state...) We plan to visit the Kinzua dam while we are up there. My wife used to go there when she was young w/ her family, so I'm hoping she remembers some good fishing spots from back then lol. Thanks for the PFCB county guide link. That should provide a good base for me to find some place to fish. I wouldn't dream of asking anyone to divulge a good fishing spot to be honest; I was more or less just curious about the different waterways up there and what I can expect to find. Good trout fishing, bad trout fishing, etc. When we first started going to Presque Isle State Park, I was amazed to find that there are very few trout waters in that area, and that most fishing occurs on the lake. I'm mostly just trying to avoid another big surprise lol.

Oh, I forgot the other reason I asked... There are no stocking charts listed right now, so I have no idea what water in that area might be stocked. Forgot all about that.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Google pa trout stocking, a senator put up the list in February and it’s still there. I used it 2 weeks ago while up for Turkeys.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Great area..I spend a lot of time up there hunting..

I don't trout fish but..a lot of the small tribs all around the reservoir have native trout in them...you'd be surprised.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Take the family to Heart's Content. It's an old growth tree area. On the drive up there from the river, stop at the scenic viewpoint over the river.

You might be able to rent canoes up there and canoe down the river and fish as you go.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would love to canoe down the river, but I don't think we will have time to do that sadly. Plus if I'm honest, I barely trust my kid in a canoe on flat water lol. I'll give the stocking chart a look, but the trout water map doesn't show much in the way of stocked water up there. There are a metric ton of streams that support wild trout up there though! Eight pages of stream names in the wild trout guide for McKean county! That's crazy to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts