The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Imox Herbicide

14K views 32 replies 5 participants last post by  OAWC 
#1 ·
Anyone ever use this. Only needs 4-6 ounces per acre so a quart would do 5-6 acres. Don't have to spray 2 products though for a clover or alfalfa plot to kill grass and broadleaf. You do have to mix with a Nitrogen and Surfactant mix as well but it is pretty cheap. I am thinking about getting this next year for my plots in Ohio. Be nicer when spraying by hand.

https://www.keystonepestsolutions.c...nd-901?zenid=583cc04109627db834ae53c851007d4e

Here is the nitro surf

https://www.keystonepestsolutions.c...on-134?zenid=583cc04109627db834ae53c851007d4e

#14 ·
It has been a long day, but I think you only need 3 pints of nitro surf. The rest of it sounds right. Like I said don't go by me as I have had a long day and my brain is fried. When I start reading labels, I tend to get more confused. LOL.

#15 · (Edited)
DOing some google searches it seems like alot of people are mixing 4-5 oz per 25 gallon of water and doing an acre, so for 3/4 you could probably go down to 20 gallon and use 2.5 pints of nitrosurf. I would probably use 4 oz of imox.

#16 ·
Well I sprayed my clover plot tonight. FIrst I put down some fertilizer and then I sprayed. I had got some dye to put in so I could see where I sprayed. It worked well. The downside is I ended up getting some on the sprayer and my back was blue and not to mention my hands because the bottle cap was leaking. LOL. Only good thing is dawn dishwashing soap eventually takes it off.

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

#18 ·
If I read the Raptor label, it calls for the following:

"Nitrogen Fertilizer
Recommended nitrogen-based fertilizers include liquid fertilizers [such as liquid ammonium sulfate (AMS), 28% N, 32% N, or 10-34-0] at 2.5 gallons/100 gallons of spray solution. Instead of liquid fertilizer, spray-grade ammonium sulfate may be used at 12 to 15 pounds/100 gallons of spray solution"

Nitro-surf is 28%. So if I divide 100 gallons by 4, that gets me to 25. 2.5 gallons/4 is 0.625 gallons, which is 2.5 QUARTS, or 5 pints. The nitrosurf label calls 3 pints per 25 gallons. Hmmm. Anyone out there ever spray Raptor?

#19 ·
I just put in what the nitro-surf recommeded. I think the imox label says to use what is recommended by the nitro surf.

Anyway I realized this morning that I had a brain fart in my rush last night to hurry up and get it done. I ended up putting in 2x as much of the imox. The nitro-surf was correct. Oh well. Good thing it was only a half-acre so I didn't waste too much money. LOL.

#20 ·
I just read through the label on Keystone's site, and it doesn't mention anything about Nitro-surf or a Nitrogen based adjuvant. The specs tab on the Keystone page say the following, pasted below. My guess is following the Raptor label is probably smartest, although not entirely required. Imox seems to be labelled mostly for aquatic use.

Imox Herbicide
Approximate use rate for Hay (Clover, Alfalfa, and Chicory, but not Grass Hay): 4-6 ounces per acre plus approximately 2-3 pints per acre Nitro-Surf (see label for exact use rate, varies by gallons per acre of application).

#21 ·
Might be hard to see in the pics, but it looks like it is working. You can see the darker grass nearer the camera. It was mowed at the same time but I didn't spray that part. The grass that was sprayed hasn't grown is is starting to turn yellow. Clover is still doing fine.

by cspot12, on Flickr

#24 ·
I bushhogged it about a week before I sprayed it and probably cut it at about 6". I wanted to wait a week before spraying to make sure the grass was growing again. With all of the rain the grass had jumped back up pretty quick to probably 8-12".

#27 ·
The clover in the plot is blooming now and looking better. Hard to see in the pics but there is some small clover in alot of the bare spots where the grass was too. I will see how it fills in this summer and may frost seed next year. Pretty happy with the herbicide though and definitely will be using it more on the clover plots.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.