The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After missing a doe with my 30-30 on the first Saturday, and losing the blood trail on the doe my Dad shot the same day with a 30-30, I decided to do some still hunting with the 12ga and some slugs. A doe stepped out, nearly identical situation as the one I missed. I pulled the trigger and she took a couple steps and fell over. Clean entrance and exit, and just mush in between.

I'm a believer, and with the thick woods I normally hunt, I'll be carrying that slug gun from now on!!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
slug guns are deadly, rifle hunters just dont like to admit it. lol i used my slug gun a lot when i hunted VA, those guys would laugh untill they saw the aftermath.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Is it desirable to create the most damage possible?

I shoot a 243 and never had to track a deer. However, I've found lots of dead deer down in 2B that were hit with slugs. I've even seen fosters only penetrate a couple of inches on a deer.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I've yet to see that lack of penetration(close to if not 100 kills with my group over the years).Wether you shoot a deer with a .22 or a .458 the bullet needs to go in the proper place. I prefer a projectile that expands inside the deer and exits on a dead broadside shot. Yes on a shoulder shot that will spoil some meat, but provide a humane kill and a good blood trail if needed.

·
Super Moderator
12,657 Posts
Shot placement is most important with all weapons. I have harvest several deer in IN, MI, OH, NY and PA with a well placed slug. With a chest shot they normally go 50-100 yards and they are ready for field dressing by the time one can walk to them...

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You trying to tell me that a 30-30 under 100 yds. won't cleanly kill a deer with a well placed shot...I might have been born at night but not last night...

Muab Dib

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
The tried and true 30-30 has killed more deer than any other cartridge, if you have an issue with a 30-30 it isn't the gun its the shooter.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
I agree, any 30/30 or most calibers in general shot into the boiler room of a deer will kill it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
octagon said:
I agree, any 30/30 or most calibers in general shot into the boiler room of a deer will kill it.
Absolutely correct. Those slug guns are kinda neat though. I have witnessed 2 deer shot with a 12 guage and foster-style slugs AKA: punkin' balls.

In one word, Impressive!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I'll agree with the comments on the 30-30. Within 100 yards it's the shooter not the caliber.

On the sold part. Those things are just awesome. I took my first slug gun deer this year with mine. Talk about instant death..Even at 102 yards I had good bullet performace.

One of the guys that hunts with us (friends dad) said I couldn't do it again as it was too far. I didn't say anything, but I think he is stuck in 1968. We aren't slinging pumpkin balls anymore. The sabot's shoot great up to about 150 yards. With the right gun I would compare it to a 45-70.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay fellas. The point of my post was not do put down my 30-30. In fact I love that gun and it's done a solid job on the deer I've hit. The deer I missed was likely do to "user error." Maybe I should have been more clear on that in my initial post. I've had deer drop in their tracks and deer that ran 100 yards and expired after being hit by that 30-30.

The point of my post was simply to point out how impressed I was with the performance of that 12ga slug. I had never taken a deer with one. After field dressing the deer and butchering the deer, I'm personally very impressed with the performance. Plus using that gun seems to fit better with the type of deer hunting I've done more recently on this particular piece of property.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
HighCountry66 said:
However, I've found lots of dead deer down in 2B that were hit with slugs.
It always amazes me how some guys are always finding deer that a certain weapon didnt kill properly, or finding sub-legal bucks, etc.

I only ever found one dead deer in the woods, and it was likely a road kill.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Well, to be honest its not really fair for me to blame the slug gun I guess. Its not like I spend alot of time investigating the dead deer or performing an autopsy when I find them in the woods.

Maybe its more of a result of a sub culture of hunters in that area. Possibly poorly placed shots. But I have found in that one woods just outside of McDonald and extremely high number of dead deer. Some were sub-legal bucks, one was a pretty nice buck, another had its head cut-off (but it was in archery), and a few doe that I just feel someone didn't follow up on.

As for the slugs, and I can only speak from what I have actually seen. 2 bucks that were hit multiple times with 12 ga foster style slugs. Both had slugs just under the skin that didn't penetrate very well. Both were at ranges of around 50-70 yards.

I shot a doe once with a 20 gauge foster and hit her slightly in front of her shoulder. She tripped and broke her neck when she ran into a tree. That slug didn't completely pass through, but did make it to the vitals. I don't know how far she would have went though if she hadn't tripped.

These were all different slugs also. Winchester, Remington, and the old Activ's.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Ghost said:
The tried and true 30-30 has killed more deer than any other cartridge, if you have an issue with a 30-30 it isn't the gun its the shooter.
I agreee with that one

·
Super Moderator
12,657 Posts
Ghost said:
I strongly agree, if reasonable shot selection is used by the hunter the result should be a success. Bullet selection being the other major factor.

It may have been true more deer were killed with a 30-30 in years past, but I don't believe the 30-30 is as popular as it once was. I understand the 30-30 users who have used them for years will defend them, but I don't believe many "New Hunters" or hunters purchasing an additional rifle are choosing the 30-30. This may be partly because hunters are selecting a rifle which they can use for a variety of game....i.e. the 243 for whitetail & varmints or the 308 for whitetail and elk.

I believe the 30-30- lever actions became popular because we as kids saw them on all the cowboy shows.

I shot my first deer in the 60's with a 30-30 Winchester model 94 lever. However I was lucky to get a 5" group at 100 yards from a good rest. I understand others are fortunate to have 30-30's which shoot much better.

As mentioned before a have taken several deer in varies states with a 12 ga. slug gun. For the first several years I used foster type slugs which were all that were available.
I harvested 26 deer with foster slugs with one shot each shooting a single shot 12 ga. Ithaca Buck Buster. I limited my shots to 50 yards back them and most were taken within 30 yards or less. I missed another three, but lost none.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I dont think the 3030 is dead I went to cabelas saturday before opening day of rifle and all the 3030 shells were gone except for 4 boxes of some really expensive shells

·
Registered
243 Posts
I love the little 30-30 its like the ole-06 been around for ever and compared to most of the other rifles out there you dont have to make 100,000$ a year to shoot it.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
The 30-30 is a good caliber. There have been many of deer that died to one shot from it. The slug guns is devistating, good luck with whatever you decide to stick with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts