The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3yr old Remington model 700 CDL Boone and Crockett in 7mm magnum and have just recently started having MAJOR grouping problems. I originally thought it may be a scope problem so I put a brand new Nikon Pro Staff 4x12 on it and immediately the same problems occurred. I am dead on at 25 yds, but at 100 yds i am all over and i mean all over) an 8 inch oval target.. 1 high left. 1 right, 1 low right, etc etc. there is no pattern to the shots at all, and no stringing of shots or such, and ive even let the gun sit for up to 10 minutes between shots to cut down on muzzle heat, I also had someone shoot it that is a very good bench shot with same problems..from what i understand these guns have pressure points between the stock and barrel so its not a floating problem and everything seems fine as far as functionality.. i just cant understand how its obviously on at 25yds but all over at 100yds..any suggestions are appreciated as im totally lost on this one.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Crown.

Check the muzzle and see if there are any dings around the muzzle. Any imperfection at the muzzle can spin a bullet to a lot of places. And none of those places consistently.

·
Registered
435 Posts
did you get it bore sighted? Are you using a Lead sled or other good rest? How far off are the shots? How tight are the groups?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive checked the muzzle and no nicks or even scratches, yes im using a good sled, and using handloads in 162 grain boattail spitzers..same batch that shot perfect lat year. the shots are randomly spaced all within a paper plate size target, and there is no grouping to speak off..except "8inch groups" i guess lol.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive tried 2 scopes and mounts are all secure..what i dont understand is that im dead on groups at 25 yds and all over at 100yds.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'd really give the barrel a good scrubbing with a brush, You've had the gun since it was new? And last year it was good right?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Could be 2 bad scopes. I have a lower end tasco 3-9x50 on my 7mm, and it shoots darts. The Nikon is awesome but still the chance it could be malfunctioning.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes i bought it brand new in the box 3 yrs ago and it always shot great until this yr..i immediately assuned it was the scope as it was a bsa and not ideal for the shock of a magnum and as soon as i mounted the nikon and bore sighted it was the same exact problem. There hasnt even been 50 rounds through it if that.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've seen some shops run a fiber optic camera down the barrel looking for problems. Can you mount the Nikon on another gun to see if it holds a zero? Just brainstorming.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
How often do you positively clean the copper out of the barrel? Too much copper buildup will cause the bullet to skid down the barrel across the rifling, with a heavy for caliber bullet like the 162 the reduced spin rate might destabilize the bullet. There may be enough velocity at 25 to borderline stabilize it but as it loses velocity it may become borderline unstable.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
I have a custom Encore barrel...When I was using factory ammo I could not get it to group..Then I reloaded my own..Thats what it was the Remington factory ammo just was not working for me.. All the reloads I did shot good groups..

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I also recommend checking the action screws. I have a 300wm that, at most, would shoot 3/4" groups at 100 yards. I took it to Idaho a few years ago and shot an elk with it. When I got home, I cleaned it good and put it back in the safe. I got it out this year and took it to the range and could not get it to shoot better than a 5-6" group. While at the range, I checked the rings and everything was tight. I then checked the action screws and I could turn them with my finger. Apparently, I took the gun apart when I cleaned it last and never tightened them down. After I fixed that problem, the gun went back to shooting the way it should.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts