The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last season I built one weasel box to try out.. Caught nothing. Haven't been able to trap much lately but was out for a walk the other day and saw what I decided had to be weasel tracks.. Well I put the box out with some venison and a little anise. 2nd night I got him.. Its a short-tailed weasel? Right??

·
Registered
753 Posts
You are the man!!!! Jack of all trades!!! Never saw one in PA, however saw a bunch in Maine!!!

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Okay readers of this forum. We now have a viable contender for HuntingPa's King of the Weasel Trappers.

Come on weasel trappers. Get your entries in here.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kish75 said:
You are the man!!!! Jack of all trades!!! Never saw one in PA, however saw a bunch in Maine!!!
Friend of mine was moose hunting in Canada this summer and said they are EVERYWHERE. They'd sneak right into camp and steal whatever food they could. And if you scared them, he said they'd be back within 5 minutes...

Not around here I tell ya... This is the 1st one I've ever seen in person...

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
OldMink said:
Okay readers of this forum. We now have a viable contender for HuntingPa's King of the Weasel Trappers.
trappin4reds2010 has my vote, he might have to change his screen name to trappin4weasels2013 though.

Way to go!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Very nice, way to go..

I made a bunch of boxes several years ago, got into a craze. Nothing ever paned out on any, so I gave up on them. Thought I found a set of tracks and convinced myself that I did after the last snow. Then every place I went I sware I was seeing weasel tracks. I got them back in my head so I was going to get my boxes back out. After checking a few farms I reset for fox yesterday, I looked back over the one place I convinced myself of weasel tracks before... I now convince myself that they are squirrel... I sure would like to catch one, might have to start looking harder and just set. Can't catchem if the traps and boxes are in the shed....

trappin4reds you above 80? Just answered my own question from my atlas..

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Nice catch!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can somebody tell me if this is a short tail or long tail?
Also, is this avg size for them?

And, this was a male. Should there be a female nearby or do they wander as much and as far as a mink??

No further questions... for now..

Thanks in advance!

Ok, I did some research..

Short-tail weasel = Least Weasel
Long-tail weasel = Stoat

What I have here is a least weasel? Correct??

Thanks again..

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
What you have is a Shorttail not a least. Least Weasels almost have no tail at all. Short tailed are just that shorttails. long tails are almost as long as their body. Here is a pic of my short and long next to each other. I haven't caught a least yet but when I do it'll have just a nub for a tail.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks bearhunter jay. I didn't realize there were this many variations of the weasel until I started reading into it..

So let me see if I've got this right.

A long tailed weasel is a stoat
A short tailed weasel is an ermine
And a least weasel is the smallest of the bunch with almost no tail at all

??

Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions but I haven't found anything that clearly distinguishes the different types that we have here. And more than once I've seen names used interchangeably and universally... This really shouldn't be that complicated.. I feel kinda dumb here and I want to get it straightened out.. Just because there aren't many weasel trappers out there doesn't mean I shouldn't know what I'm going after.. I kinda feel like I'd be calling a grey fox a red fox because it has some red on it...

I'd never make it as a birdwatcher... lol

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
An afterthought...

Old mink, aren't you kind of a weasel guy?

Got any weasel wisdom for me?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OldMink said:
trappin4reds2010 said:
An afterthought...

Old mink, aren't you kind of a weasel guy?

Got any weasel wisdom for me?
Whoops.. How bout weasel "fan"??

Didn't mean to call you a "weasel guy"... lol

Or are you laughing because trapping weasels in PA is like trapping mink.. Do everything just right and then pray that you're lucky?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts