The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'M EMBARASSED, BUT LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE

TOO EVERYONE WHO PICKS WILD EDIBLES, THERE ARE A LOT OF THINGS OUT THERE AS YOU ALL KNOW SOME EDIBLE SOME NOT. I WAS JSUT OUT LOOKING AT A BRIDGE AND WALKED PASTED A BIG PATCH OF GRAPES. WE'VE ALL DONE THIS. NEXT TIME DOUBLE CHECK, BEFORE YOU PICK ANYTHING SERVE THE FRUIT BACK TO THE STEM AND VARIFY WITHA LEAF. WHAT I DIDNT REALIZE WAS A FEW VIRGINIA CREEPER VINES MIXED IN AND THE FRUIT IS IDENTICAL. I TOOK ONE BITE AND NEW I DIDNT BITE INTO A GRAPE I IMMEDIATLY SPIT IT OUT HOWEVER, MY TOP LIP IS VERY, VERY IRRITATED. NEEDLESS TO SAY I SLIGHTLY BEYOND CONCERNED RIGHT NOW. ALLWAYS REMEMBER YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO CAREFUL

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Re: I'M EMBARASSED, BUT LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE

I get most of my wild edibles from the asphalt jungle. Prayers out to you bro - keep safe and may this only be a little bit of tingly lip.

You never know what is around the next corner. an adopted cat 2 weeks ago today has caused a week and a half of lanced abscesses in mine and my wife's armpits due to a nasty fight with Cat Scratch disease. I had never heard of it and thought Ted was singing about a different kind of kitty when he did Cat Scratch Fever. It's real, it's real nasty, and can be life threatening. I could have gone a lifetime without having to have an abscess lanced.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Are you sure it was virginia creeper and not poison ivy. I have some poison ivy around my house that has large clumps of berries on them

·
Registered
3,748 Posts

From the USDA website:

Virginia creeper berries are highly toxic to humans and may be fatal if eaten. Its sap can also cause skin irritation in some people.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Wow they do look just like wild grapes...I probably would have eaten some also if I seen them. best of luck to you...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

WELL THE TINGLING IN MY LIP HAS lessened, However i will keep a check on my vitals throughout the day. here is a little rhyme that was taught to kids in the earily days to destingish the differnce in creeper and ivy. "leaves of three let it be, leaves of five let it thrive".

·
Registered
12,369 Posts

Dayton_Boy13 said:
TOO EVERYONE WHO PICKS WILD EDIBLES, THERE ARE A LOT OF THINGS OUT THERE AS YOU ALL KNOW SOME EDIBLE SOME NOT. I WAS JSUT OUT LOOKING AT A BRIDGE AND WALKED PASTED A BIG PATCH OF GRAPES. WE'VE ALL DONE THIS. NEXT TIME DOUBLE CHECK, BEFORE YOU PICK ANYTHING SERVE THE FRUIT BACK TO THE STEM AND VARIFY WITHA LEAF. WHAT I DIDNT REALIZE WAS A FEW VIRGINIA CREEPER VINES MIXED IN AND THE FRUIT IS IDENTICAL. I TOOK ONE BITE AND NEW I DIDNT BITE INTO A GRAPE I IMMEDIATLY SPIT IT OUT HOWEVER, MY TOP LIP IS VERY, VERY IRRITATED. NEEDLESS TO SAY I SLIGHTLY BEYOND CONCERNED RIGHT NOW. ALLWAYS REMEMBER YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO CAREFUL
Dayton Boy,

Sorry to hear you picked the Wrong Thing ...But have to say...IF you were After Fox Grapes, They Don't look the same!

Virginia Creeper is MUCH Smaller, VERY MUCH SMALLER then Fox Grapes!

IN the Future, DON'T Pick the Little Ones!

Pick the HUGE FAT ONES!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts