The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, looking to get into the flintlock game..went up to the gun store bout 2 weeks ago to shop around..got a couple questions..

1. is the pellet system better then loose powder? or is it just easier? bc the traditions i was looking at was about 75 dollars more expensive and it just shot pellets..only difference.
2. wood stock or synthetic stock? im pretty sure the synthetic would take the conditions alot better but just wondered what yall think
3. traditions or T/C? the T/C was actually cheaper then the tradtitions, but it didnt have the camo stock/nickle barrel..it seems like most people on here perfer T/C tho.
4. round ball/maxi vs. those new high speed tipped bullets, is there a difference in on-game performance or is it just accuracy?
5. My biggest issue is really the cleaning and operating portion, something thats easy to clean disassemble/reassemble..i dont wanna get something too hardcore..

O, im left handed and it seems to be a split decision on here with the leftys shooting rightys or leftys shooting leftys..theres really no price difference tho so ill probably go after the lefty.

appreciate any help yall could send my way.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Most people will say that flintlocks and pellet powders do not mix. Use loose powder only. You can buy powder tubes and preload them, just as easy. Most rate flintlocks from high to low as TC, Lyman, Traditions based on quality. PA us to be RB only. Now you can use other bullets. For slow twist rates ot 48 - 72 most barrels will shoot better with RBs. Faster twist rates 24-35 like sabots better.

Cleaning is easy. Remove barrel place breech end in bucket of warm soapy water and flush with bore mop and bore brush. finish with really hot water and run a few dry patches down the barrel. Shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes.

Cleanup is a funtion of the powder you are using. Black powder may require a little more cleaning than the newer substitute BPs.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Pellet guns will shoot loose black powder, but not the other way round, and pellets cost multiple times the cost of black powder.

If you would ever be interested in just plinking, a pellet gun and fancy $3.00 bullets would get mighty expensive for a Sat Afternoon of shooting. Patched round balls and loose powder drop the price dramatically.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you shoot lefty, by a lefty. Much safer on the eyes. Reguardless, wear safety glasses and a hat when you shoot. You have burning embers of charcoal, white hot bits of metal, and razor sharp pieces of rock flying around 6" in front of your face. It's a very safe and fun sport when done correctly.

As for powder, I'm a tradional guy and won't use fake black powder in my flintlocks. Some of them are actually more corrosive than real BP.

I see your from the Scranton area. There is a monthly shoot in Factoryville and Harveys Lake. Stop in and ask around what most people are shooting.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Loose powder(Real Blackpowder)
Wood stock
TC
Round balls
Clean them after you shoot them,not days or weeks later.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I totally agree with 410-er. Except with the TC. Personally I like the lyman guns more, but that is my opinion

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
sorry mtn man this one was too easy, currently I am trying to figure out how to cut these lead bricks so they can melt easer. They are 30-40lb bricks and I would like to slice them, not as easy as I thought

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
The T/C Firestorm and the Traditions Pa Pellet would be the easiest to clean and service.They are more pricey,but their has been some really good prices on here lately on Firestorms that have been only shot a few times.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you guys are on point..i was gonna go with the wood stock TC and go with the round balls, my uncle works at a gun shop and he was showing me around but hes been out of the game for like 15-20 years...things change over time..but you guys are awesome. thanks alot. hey toby..is there a website for that shoot? like a sportsmans club?

·
Registered
394 Posts
brewyak said:
sorry mtn man this one was too easy, currently I am trying to figure out how to cut these lead bricks so they can melt easer. They are 30-40lb bricks and I would like to slice them, not as easy as I thought
Try log splitter

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
went to cabelas today...couldnt price any T/C's bc all they had were traditions, 1 lyman and those blackpowder ina box things..darnit

1 - 20 of 28 Posts