The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really tried to get into this year's deer hunt. Went out first 3 days dark mornings to sun down. Went out today, nice snow falling and quite woods, just don't want to do it anymore. Squirrels and predators are more fun to hunt and easier to drag. I guess 50 years of deer hunting has worked me over.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Sounds like you had a good run. Maybe taking the rest of this season off might be just what you need to get yourself back into the right frame of mind for it, for next season.
Sometimes we just need a break, even from the things we love to do, in order to get a re-appreciation for them.
Even if you don't get back into it at least you'll have 50 years of great memories to reflect on.

I'm sure whatever your decision is it'll be one you can comfortably live with. You have lots of experience to call upon in order to make the right decision for you.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I hit the wall today after only 3 and 1/2 days of hunting. It's not that I don't enjoy hunting anymore, I just have so much other stuff going on with work, etc.

Due to new job and money I couldnt afford, nor get the time off for camp this year. To me hunting is so much more than just getting a deer. It's about being with friends and family and all enjoying the hunt.

I hunted by myself today for the morning and it just wasnt the same.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I took 2 weeks leave last year and hunted everyday I hit the wall on day 10 but I pushed thru to complete my 14 day plan. this year I have been out twice and plan on Firday Saturday this week. and I have great hunting with lots of private farm land I just cant get into it. My step son (11) got one the second day a nice 3 1/2 year old 7 point and that was enough for me. yes I'll hunt racks but thats about all,,,,,come on spring gobbler!!!! now I will hunt everyday in spring gobbler even if its 1 hour before work. even see'ing deer I just cant get the spark this year so far I have seen 11 bucks some where legal but no shooters for me. maybe 100 does also over 2 days that is

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
This happens to me almost every year unless I score early. The guy I bowhunt with hunts EVERY DAY. I work 3-11 shift and after going with little or no sleep for 2 or 3 nights I have to take a day or two off to recoup. If I don't I am totally burnt out by the time the rut rolls around and my time off gets there. He always says "you can sleep all you want when you are dead".

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I get burned out,but I keep on going.all I need to think of is how I wait all year long for this to come,think about it,dream all year for this,I'm not gonna sit home because I'm tired a little.I'll be off the last four weeks of archery in2010, I'll be out every day.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
I am burnt out too...9 outta 12 days of rifle, all bow season, now preping for any days I can get out after the Chirstmas.

You will not find a bigger proponent of deer hunting on this site all year long, I live it, I try to fire people up for it all year here...buring out is part of the ride (more now than ever), like I said I am burnt out, but i still believe in the magic of that one moment turning my season around. Has that lead to year's where I get nothing but defeated ,yep the last 3 in fact. My body does not want to deer hunt anymore I know, but come late January I know it it is all I will think about again til October when I head back out after them.

You are not alone in burning out my friend ...I am
30 years in the game, yesterday I went to what I thought was going to be our late season gem spot...no sign at all, no time to come up with another plan. I gotta go regardless.

I have never killed a deer with a flintlock...so I pitch it to myself that this must be the year to change that. ANything I can do to go cause come all seasons close, I know what feeling I will face once again for months.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I blew off the last half of the last day this year. That normally doesn't happen to me. Normally hunt till the last minute of the last day. This year was a joke. With the exception of the first day, the only deer I saw this year were deer I kicked up. I took a walk around the area I hunt the last morning to see few tracks, and those tracks were days old. Just didn't seem worth it to sit in the freezing weather for nothing when I had other stuff to do.

I understand anything can happen at any moment, but I had had enough. I at least would like to think I have a chance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I hear ya. Bowhunted whitetails 2 times this year. Usually spend a few hundred hours in the stand. I got into sika deer and have a good duck/pheasant dog. It's just too much fun watching the dog work.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
ya i hear ya. i usually hunt 8 days hard, daylight to dark and get fried by last day. this year i could only hunt 3 days and i did't get enough. i can't wait until next year to burn out again. too much fun for two weeks.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
I was burnt out after bow season. Sometimes it's nice to just go out and enjoy the day and not worry about wind, scent, am I in the right stand, and just let things unravel as they may. It's nice to take the pressure off yourself once in awhile and sometimes the best things happen when you do this.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I get burned out every year and not seeing any deer this year made it alot worse. I think it because I began hunting New Jersey first week of September, 3 times a week. Thats up at 4am, work for 10 hours in a very hot plant, then an hour drive to Jersey, hunt for a few hours, then an hour drive home. By the time November rolled around I was wiped. Next year will be even worse, gotta travel to see deer so I gotta do it.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I can't burn out--I have no expectations beyond enjoying myself--and I can always do that

I'm going to hunt the late archery season in a rather civil manner---in my blind with the heater on ;)---and I'll have a great time--talking to Chickadees---tossing rocks at squirrels--and just being there.

If a buck comes along--maybe---a doe---she'll get a pass

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"counting flowers on the wall, playing solitaire with a deck of 51, now don't tell me I've nothing to do"
My burn out is only to do with deer hunting, I have been pounding the woods for coyote, and my equipment is laid out for in the morning's hunt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts