The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was shooting my 45 long colt reloads out of my circuit judge today. I shoot at a group of steel targets at about 50 yards and normally try to hit them as fast as possible. Well aparently I had a case with no powder in it, the primer put it in the barrel and the following shot really put it in the barrel. The first shot lodged 4" in and the second which wasn't a dud is wedged between the barrel and the cylinder. I can't move the bullets either way, and the cylinder won't open. I'm pretty much screwed. I'm going to take to a gunsmith on Monday but I'm thinking the gun is scrap! Bad Day!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
They should be able to pull the first bullet out of the barrel, then hopefully the second bullet is in a place where it can be pulled as well.

Good luck with the gun, let us know what happens.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You don't need a gunsmith, just get a piece of dowell rod and put it down the barrel and tap with a hammer until the bullet is clear of the chamber.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already tried a wooden dowel, an aluminum cleaning rod, and tried pulling the bullet but the rod snapped. I was able to get the rod out, but the pulling jag is stuck in the jacketed bullet now. I'm punting!!!! I'll take it to a gunsmith!

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I'd have it looked at regardless if you could get them out or not. Glad that your able to type up this post and we are not hearing a much different story!!

I'm curious if there is permanent damage??

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I wouldn't call you a knuckle head. But I would call you very lucky that you didn't get hurt and also maybe a litle careless to have a reload with no powder in it. Gotta pay attention. Lesson to be learned here for all of us.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking the fact that this gun is a revolver is why I wasn't injured. Most of the pressure was lost out the cylinder. I can't believe it happened though. How I missed with the powder has me scratching my head.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I planned on it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Your lucky!! The cylinder gap saved you for sure.. use a short metal rod that's as thick as you can get in the bore and tap the first bullet back into the second until the cylinder gap saves you again..just a little at a time checking when the second bullet is back in it's case far enough to allow the cylinder to swing free..this is no big deal but use a stong rod not a cleaning rod made of cheap thin aluminum. Your not going to hurt anything, just be gentle and next time when you charge your case take a look with a little flash light before seating the bullet..

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Won't come out period, can't budge it. Smith will drill it out and inspect barrel. He says gun might be junk but he will try.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Won't come out period, can't budge it. Smith will drill it out and inspect barrel. He says gun might be junk but he will try.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got a call from the gunsmith today. My rifle is fine he was able to drill it out. He said the barrel is fine. I was actually suprised that it wasn't damaged.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Economy Gunsmithing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts