The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a new 22-250 on the way and was thinking about putting a illuminated recticle scope on it,,any opinions? main use is groudhogs and predators ,,including night hunting ,, prefer something with power up to at least 16
thanks dave
do they function like a regular scope when the light is turned off ??

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
yes they function normal, with the light off. Go with a lighted dot reticle, one that just the center dot lights up. Don't get the one where the whole crosshair lights up, it's too bright for night hunting in my opinion. Check out the Mueller sport dot 4-16x50. I have one and love it. Stay away from the Bushnell Banner 4-16. I have one and HATE it (junk).

·
Registered
10,638 Posts
bownut said:
Check out the Mueller sport dot 4-16x50. I have one and love it.
Me too.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'll probably get beaten, tarred, feathered, and dissed by a few, but I think Illuminated reticles are all Hype, and yes I have a few. If it's too dark to see the cross hairs it's too dark to hunt. Granted, I didn't buy the scope because of the illuminated reticle in the first place, and I did try it out but haven't used them since. Nightforce even has an intensity setting so to say it's too bright or not bright enough isn't part of the equation. You would be far better off to save the extra money for the illuminated reticle and put it towards better glass.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Gunnermhr said:
I'll probably get beaten, tarred, feathered, and dissed by a few, but I think Illuminated reticles are all Hype, and yes I have a few. If it's too dark to see the cross hairs it's too dark to hunt. Granted, I didn't buy the scope because of the illuminated reticle in the first place, and I did try it out but haven't used them since. Nightforce even has an intensity setting so to say it's too bright or not bright enough isn't part of the equation. You would be far better off to save the extra money for the illuminated reticle and put it towards better glass.
Unless you are hunting predators at night!!!!

Just because it doesnt benefit you doesnt mean it lacks a good application.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts