The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bearrr.png

HUNTINGDON CO, Pa (WJAC) — According to a Facebook post, the Pennsylvania Game Commission is investigating the illegal killing of a black bear cub in Juniata Township, Huntingdon County.

The Game Commission states that the 60 pound cub was killed sometime between Dec. 12 and 13 along Point Road.

Officials say that they bear likely died quickly and thus was not killed the week prior during bear hunting season.

They also say that there is no evidence that the bear was previously injured and was shot to end its suffering, or that it was killed in self-defense.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s Southcentral Region Dispatch Center at 814-643-1831 or the Operation Game Thief Hotline at 1-888-PGC-8001

·
Registered
449 Posts
They couldn't tell it was a cub. Right. This was the point I was trying to make in the other post. You are supposed to know what you are shooting at. I am quite sure they felt threatened.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
View attachment 144713 ...The Game Commission states that the 60 pound cub was killed sometime between Dec. 12 and 13 along Point Road.

Officials say that they bear likely died quickly and thus was not killed the week prior during bear hunting season...
They couldn't tell it was a cub. Right. This was the point I was trying to make in the other post. You are supposed to know what you are shooting at. I am quite sure they felt threatened.

According to the PGC, it was killed out of season. I'm sure the poacher couldn't have cared less that it was a cub.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Are you mentally bereft? It is not illegal to kill a cub in season. And yes if you have the brains of an amoeba, you are supposed to know what you are shooting at.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It may not be illegal to shoot a cub but it is not moral. Its all about killing to some people. I am sorry just like the other post if you are a hunter you know the rules. You guys were all telling me you cant tell a cub from an adult. That's Bull. I don't think I read the article wrong it was shot during the season. WW you attack evry person that you don't like there comments that's a true sportsman cant stand anybodys elses opinion.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
View attachment 144713

HUNTINGDON CO, Pa (WJAC) — According to a Facebook post, the Pennsylvania Game Commission is investigating the illegal killing of a black bear cub in Juniata Township, Huntingdon County.

The Game Commission states that the 60 pound cub was killed sometime between Dec. 12 and 13 along Point Road.

Officials say that they bear likely died quickly and thus was not killed the week prior during bear hunting season.

They also say that there is no evidence that the bear was previously injured and was shot to end its suffering, or that it was killed in self-defense.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s Southcentral Region Dispatch Center at 814-643-1831 or the Operation Game Thief Hotline at 1-888-PGC-8001
It may not be illegal to shoot a cub but it is not moral. Its all about killing to some people. I am sorry just like the other post if you are a hunter you know the rules. You guys were all telling me you cant tell a cub from an adult. That's Bull. I don't think I read the article wrong it was shot during the season. WW you attack evry person that you don't like there comments that's a true sportsman cant stand anybodys elses opinion.

See bolded and underlined above. It was shot and killed out of season. Pure poaching / thrill killing, not a hunting related kill at all.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Why is anyone surprised or even upset anymore when someone shoots a deer or bear out of season and lets it lay when you have idiots videotaping themselves kicking injured deer and posing with a puppy that they just cut its ears off of....
The fact this was obviously a cub had nothing to do with the senseless shooting, this little guy was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
It could have easily been an 800 pound bear, a 12 pt buck or a 400 class bull elk....
The judge will fine them ( they'll never pay it) and take away their license privilege's for a few years ( they probably never buy a license anyway)…
I actually had this discussion with my 17 year old, I told him there are very few things that would push me past my Christian beliefs, but animal abuse would surely do it and I would not miss a wink of sleep handling it myself if I knew the person who did it...

·
Registered
449 Posts
I guess my problem is I see them all the time I have been cutting grass and gotten off of the mower and turned around and have had one 20 yards away so I am used to seeing them. I was also taught if you do not have a good visual of what you are shooting you dont shoot. Thats were I am coming from you have to know what you are shooting at. Not just its a bear lets shoot it.

·
Super Moderator
29,169 Posts
It may not be illegal to shoot a cub but it is not moral.
What exactly makes it not moral?

Many of us don't try to kill cubs, or fawns, based on some perceived perceptions that it's "wrong". When in fact, it is not detrimental to the wildlife management goals of the species. By the time our season come around, those cubs or fawns are no longer "babies", they are eating machines that aren't yet reproducing.

I'm always curious if those that are so adamantly opposed to killing cubs or fawns because they think they're too young have any problem shooting the sow or doe, leaving those little ones as orphans. I mean, if they're too young to shoot, they must be too young to be on they're own.

This story, however, is in regards to a poaching incident, which is repugnant regardless of the age of the animal which was wantonly wasted.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
A cub is not to hard to distinguish as well as a fawn is. If you pay attention and actually figure out what you are shooting for a few seconds. Same with bucks antlers, a few seconds of actual looking and not shooting, may keep you from regret a few years later.

·
Super Moderator
14,272 Posts
A cub is not to hard to distinguish as well as a fawn is. If you pay attention and actually figure out what you are shooting for a few seconds. Same with bucks antlers, a few seconds of actual looking and not shooting, may keep you from regret a few years later.
Hunters harvesting legal game is a vital part of the goals and objectives of sound wildlife management practices.

Harvesting cub bears and deer that had been fawns that year is not having any adverse effect on the future of the resource. Not harvesting cubs and that year's fawns can have adverse effects on the future of good management of the species though.

Not harvesting cubs or fawns is strictly an emotional response. Professional wildlife managers should NEVER allow their emotions, or the emotions of others, to influence sound scientific management direction and decisions.

In the case of the bear in question though it was simply an illegally killed bear. For that one simple reason it needs to be treated as the crime it was, with all efforts to bring those responsible to justice.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Hunters harvesting legal game is a vital part of the goals and objectives of sound wildlife management practices.

Harvesting cub bears and deer that had been fawns that year is not having any adverse effect on the future of the resource. Not harvesting cubs and that year's fawns can have adverse effects on the future of good management of the species though.

Not harvesting cubs or fawns is strictly an emotional response. Professional wildlife managers should NEVER allow their emotions, or the emotions of others, to influence sound scientific management direction and decisions.

In the case of the bear in question though it was simply an illegally killed bear. For that one simple reason it needs to be treated as the crime it was, with all efforts to bring those responsible to justice.

Dick Bodenhorn

I agree with everything you said, and I never said it was wrong or illegal, I was responding to some posters that said a cub was hard to distinguish, and yes the poachers who did this should be caught and punished...

·
Registered
72 Posts
In some cercumstances it is hard to tell a cub from a adult,I had 5 cubs and a sow come out of a drive 20 yards in front of me, I could not tell the difference between them they all appeared to be the same size, so I shot the first one and luckily it was the sow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts