The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon I decided to head to my neighbor's house which was an old store/church/home. I've done well here in the past and will post those old finds up later, but for now, here are today's finds!

1923 Mercury Dime, T. Roosevelt commemorative coin and a personalized tag with the name "Dick" on it.

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
Each one of these items has a story to tell. I once found an old rusted up mule shoe at Hopewell State Park in the vacinity of an old unused and overgrown stone foundation. Every time I see that shoe resting on my work bench my immagination runs wild thinking of what activity brought that shoe to that area, the people who may have been involved and how long ago it may have found its way to that particular spot. I am looking forward to additional posts on this site.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Hmmmm. Ill have to get a metal detector...my place is an old (1830) stage coach stop between newport and ickesburg pa... gotta have some goodies somewhere. Excavated the old well a few weeks ago, 3' of mud...nothing more than a 1977 penny. It had a hard bottom and must have been cleaned out many times before me...

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I have been trying to do this for many years now, just can't find the time. The place I deer hunt is very near the old brandywine battle fields area. There are a few old stone structures in the woods, have to be something around there. I have already found two areas that I beleived to be old trash dumping areas. The groundhogs dig up stuff there, and you can look back and see it was dug out, just to put trash in it, it guess, there are some old blue bottles, etc. Never really cleaned any of it up, I may have to now that this forum is here. Need some pointers on where to start....

·
Registered
957 Posts
Picked up a metal detector for my son at Christmas. He loves it! My yard looks like a gopher colony but his best find yet is a Austrian Schilling that's worth about $10.00. We're always looking for new and exciting places to scan, but at least for now I'll be able to find my "lost" arrows!

·
Registered
540 Posts
dmccoy1 said:
I have been trying to do this for many years now, just can't find the time. The place I deer hunt is very near the old brandywine battle fields area. There are a few old stone structures in the woods, have to be something around there. I have already found two areas that I beleived to be old trash dumping areas. The groundhogs dig up stuff there, and you can look back and see it was dug out, just to put trash in it, it guess, there are some old blue bottles, etc. Never really cleaned any of it up, I may have to now that this forum is here. Need some pointers on where to start....
It seems to me you don't need pointers, you already know where to start. Just be careful around historic areas and battle grounds. A lot of them are strictly off limits.
A few years ago I traveled to Chester County to detect with a group of detectorists there and had a blast. You shouldn't have too hard of a time finding people to detect with there. Be forewarned though, detecting is very addictive. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Thanks, this is all private property, I know it must be somewhat historic, but it's not part of a park or anything. Pretty much a 10 acre thickit, with a small crick running through it. There is about a 12' long, 5' wide, 3' tall stone square, right next to the crick, i'll probably start there. I believe that this area was a staging or camping area, it is about 3/4 of a mile from the Brandywine itself, upstream from the actual battlefield. I have to do some research.

As for addicting, that's what i'm worried about!!!!!

I'll keep ya posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts