The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typically it is pretty easy to tell with brook trout a wild or stocked fish but this one has me scratching my head. A little back story on the stream this came from. It gets stocked with brooks, browns, bows, and goldens. The typical size of the brookies that get stocked are 9-12". This one was somewhere between 8-9" Judging by the fish's color I would say he was at a minimum last years stockie. I would assume he would have grown a little in the stream as there is a lot of life in the stream.

So what do you think?

I am going on Team Holdover, but I am pretty much 50/50 on this. THe only reason why is its pectoral fins look a little rounded to me and not as "perfect" as you would suspect from a native.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Are his gill plates deformed a little or is that just from the angle of pic? Beautiful fish either way but if you say his fins aren't right I too would go holdover. Maybe

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I've caught a decent amount of fresh brookie stockies that have been that colored up this year. I know they were fresh because they're normally sitting in a group of at least 5-10 trout. I fished a stream out in Laurel Hill SP a day after they had stocked back in May and I would say 80% of the brookies looked just like that.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Shippinit said:
I've caught a decent amount of fresh brookie stockies that have been that colored up this year. I know they were fresh because they're normally sitting in a group of at least 5-10 trout. I fished a stream out in Laurel Hill SP a day after they had stocked back in May and I would say 80% of the brookies looked just like that.
I was going to say the same. I have caught plenty of colorful brookies that were just stocked. Some with orange stomachs like that one there. I'd say the one in the pic is a recently stocked fish.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just for comparison purposes. Here are a couple wild brooks that I caught yesterday. Notice the color variation on their stomachs. These two were caught just 15 minutes from each other and maybe 100 yards apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts