The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all! I am preparing for the Flintlock Season.. I sighted in my rifle this summer..never experienced a real issues..a few misfires..but of course...that is to be expected.. and now took it to the gun range today.. first shot.. KABOOM! Then after that..all the issues started.

I am using a Thompson Center Hawken 50 cal.. I Have used a caplock most of my life.. but this will be my first season with the flintlock.

I just cant seem to get a good spark..which I think is contributing to the main misfires I was experiencing..either takes to or 3 tries to make it go off again.. Do you think it is the Flints? they appear to be sharp,, I scraped any residue off between shots.. and used rubbing alcohol on the frizzen? I only have access to the Thompson center flints..but Do I am using bevel up.. Should I have tried bevel down?

Maybe it is the flint Position? I am all new to this.. so any help getting hot spark would be helpful.. I will be taking it back to the range Monday.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
im not sure if i missed this or not but is the gun new? if it is (or even if its not) use fine sand paper and sand the face of the frizzen. new flintlock have a coating on them to make them look "pretty" and this reduced the amount of sparl

if its used some, there could be a groove from where the flint constantly hits. sand the frizzen and your spark will double...i just did mine the other day

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Eastcoast, PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of Tom Fuller flints. I could get them in the mail for you tomorrow.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
BerksCoflinter said:
Eastcoast, PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of Tom Fuller flints. I could get them in the mail for you tomorrow.
This is why HPA is what it is!

Mighty nice of ya BCF, for helpin a brother out!

Merry Christmas to you too!

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Could be the flint but you may have a soft frizzen.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Berkscoflinter..thank you..that is very nice of you, I appreciate it.. The rifle I am using was given to me by my uncle last year.. He got it new in the Late 70's.. it had terrible hammer wobble..so I sent the lock back to Thompson Center..and they fixed that issue.. I dont know if it is the cold weather causing this ignition issue.. but would rather it happen now..instead of after Christmas!

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
scott and stalk said:
bevel down
I use the Fuller flints and they vary a fair amount in thickness and length. I put them in whatever side up gives me the best frizzen strike position and it all works equally the same.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Ya, I'm going to go with frizzen on this one also,Once the case hardening gets wore off the face your done.I believe T/C frizzens are only hardened on outside not all the way through.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Believe it or not.. I live about 30 minutes from Dixons! I would love to go there.. but when you go there for 1 item.. you end up coming out with 20 ! I love that place.. When I got the lock fixed from Thompson Center...the frizzen was replaced also.. so that doesnt seem to be the issue. But I do thank you for the trouble shooting.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
T\C frizzens are not hardened all the way thru. But, if you pick up a few X=tra's, when they go bad, just send the bad ones back to T\C and in 3 weeks or so, you will get new ones for free.

FWIW

Dave

1 - 20 of 31 Posts