The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between oats and brassica's for a fall plot which would you choose? Or maybe something else altogether. The spot I'm going to plant is in veggies now and whatever I decide to put in probably won't be planted till the very end of August.I planted a mix there a few years ago but I'd like to keep it something annual because it'll probably be planted in veggies again next summer.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I'm doin the same right now! We put in a mix that contains Dwarf Essex Rape, Pulsar Rape, 7-top Turnips, PurpleTop Turnips and also mixed some Canadian Winter Oats in on one end. I'm tryin a few differnt things out to see what grows and how hard the deer hit it! The PH is about as close to perfect as I've seen in any of my plots, so I'm hopin to get a feel for what grows well for future years!

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I have been planting my brassica around the 1st of August. I think the end of August might be a little too late?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm new to all of this but my plan for my fall plots is to plant the plots in strips with brassicas and Buck Forage Oats. I'm going to plant the brassicas the first week of August and the oats the third week of August.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I would scrap the oats and go with winter rye grain.Its been my experience that the rye does not freeze out the way the oats will.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I would go for oats over brassicas any day. I am an archery hunter so, I want something that will grow well and attract early. If you are looking at hunting after the first hard frost, brassicas would be a good bet but, I would still mix in some oats for a better variety.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
angus said:
I would go for oats over brassicas any day. I am an archery hunter so, I want something that will grow well and attract early. If you are looking at hunting after the first hard frost, brassicas would be a good bet but, I would still mix in some oats for a better variety.
What about something for late bow season? My plan is to plant turnips and brassica/oats mix for a late season plot and bowhunt the oak stands for early season. If I still have tags, which I will, Ill sit on the turnips late season.
And a side question, Do collard greens do well in the late fall and are they an attractant for deer?

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just read an article in North American Whitetail where Dr. James C. Kroll says that you can plant winter rye and the deer will eat it, but it will do nothing for them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i would choose to mix them or set a perimeter of oats around the brassicas did it last weekend and last year....awesome combo

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Shady said:
angus said:
What about something for late bow season? My plan is to plant turnips and brassica/oats mix for a late season plot and bowhunt the oak stands for early season. If I still have tags, which I will, Ill sit on the turnips late season.
And a side question, Do collard greens do well in the late fall and are they an attractant for deer?
A plot of Turnips, Brassicas, and oats sounds like a good late season plot. Teh oats would bring them in early and they will be in the plot after the frost starts.

I have never grown or tried collard greens in a food plot. From my understanding, deer eat Kale which is close to Collards. Would be interesting to try it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts