The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
says most of the guys on here. The best trout fisherman I know personally uses a $20 noodle rod from Wal-Mart. I wouldn't be half as successful as I am if it wasn't for the SKILLS he taught me. A fishing rod is just a piece of graphite. It won't compensate for lack of experience. The same goes for everything else.

·
Super Moderator
12,804 Posts
You're absolutely right....to a certain extent...

It's a 2 sided road IMO...you have to have the skill and knowledge....but there becomes a point and time where your equipment becomes a limited factor...

You have to use the right tool for the job....if a guy fishes a couple times a year chances are he won't really notice the difference between a $20 noodle rod and a broom stick and a $200 rod..

Give a guy that fishes a LOT a rod that is built for the task at hand and he will notice the difference between a cheap rod and a high end rod and this benefits pay off with more fish..

I just recently went from a decent trout rod to a rod custom built for spinner fishing...my first trip out and my catch numbers multiplied by about 4-5 times...and that's with several seasons on the decent trout rod..

How'd the new rod change the game? 2 things I noticed played a big role...my casting accuracy went through the roof..and the rods sensitivity allowed me to feel strikes I never felt before...

When I went from a $20 or $30 rod to the decent trout rod it was very similar...

Gear IMO can certainly be a limiting factor with many things...

Change your scenario from a trout fishermen to a race car driver...apples to oranges you'll say...but your statement is basically saying the best racecar driver will be able to do the same whether he is running a high end car vs a 94 Caviler...just not gunna happen. Yep...he's gunna rock that 94 Caviler better than your normal car driver...but the car will be a limiting factor and hi der his driving....

And to a certain extent better gear in itself can immediately impact results...i am no race car driver...but give me a 94 Caviler and a race car....i can nearly gaurentee my time will be better in the racecar...

Trout fishing does require knowledge and skill though...lots of it...

The rods..the lures...etc that the high number trout guys use aren't magic...i can fish the same water beside them with the same gear and they'll smoke me...they have more knowledge and skill...but like I said...if I fish my $30 trout rod and my custom built spinner rod my numbers are directly impacted...

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I've said this before and I will say it again; people who are really good at any sport tend to be more particular about their equipment. Golfers, tennis players, hunters, and fishermen. The good ones can succeed with most anything, but are more successful with equipment that is too their liking.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I know I've lost/missed fish when I had a cheaper reel. It would hang up, loop line, or stick at inappropriate times...but I do agree to SOME extent that very expensive equipment is not always necessary, as long as you are comfortable with your gear. Sometimes the more expensive though is the more comfortable.

As long as you are having fun and outside enjoying nature, it shouldn't matter that much.

·
20,128 Posts
Ya I certainly dont recall anyone ever saying that people need to spend a ton of money to be a successful trout angler. That's certainly not the case at all as many prove day in a day out. I'm sure your buddy is a tremendous angler and his skill level is probably very high. What I can tell you with 100% certainly is that if he had the highest end rod and reel combo possible for his particular perfered style of angling he would be even more successful then he already is. That holds merit in every thing we do. The best possible equipment in capable hands in almost always going to outperform the lesser. Jordan Speith (golfer) will play better with the highest end clubs he perfers then he will in a set of Walmart Wilson clubs. A gifted archer will be better with a 2016 model than a 1980 Bear Polar. But on the flip side I'll bet that Jordan Speith would still absolutely crush me at golf with worst set of clubs I could have him. Wouldn't matter cause his skill set is so high. He, personally, will perform better with the higher end stuff though and be much more satisfied with his game.
So you are absolutely right in that you dont need the pricey but I find it hard to beleive that you would argue that the best equipment doesn't help.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Not sure most guys here say that but anyone that thinks equipment makes the better angler is a fool. Whether your a window licker or an Orvis cowboy, if you don't possess skills like the ability to read the water & properly present the fly/lure you're not going to be very successful. Presentation is probably the most critical element in fishing. Now high quality equipment can aid in fishing but it won't necessarily make you more successful at catching fish. Things like durability and reliability of function, better accuracy or longer casts, faster hook-setting ability, longer drifts and better line control are all things that can be aided by good equipment. But if you don't know how to properly present the fly or lure with your $500 rod & reel then the guy with the $20 Walmart special that does know is going to be the one to show you how it's done.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He used to be a guide. He knows the water around my area well. He showed me how to fish and my success rate tripled. I can't master his style of noodling though. He uses his noodle rod like a cane pole. It gives him lots of reach so he doesn't need to use split shot. He can get into those nooks and cranies that hold trout.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts