The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends, I just want to give you an FYI on this. This week my dog had a bout of this during a hunt. He is a very high energy dog. We were having a great day. He had 8 flushes. We were heading back for lunch when he began to be lethagic and clinging to me. He then had a seizure lasting about 30 seconds. I as able to put him on my shoulders and carry him out. Whn we got to the truck he would eat and drink but was unable to sit up. I rushed him to the emergency vet in Clarks Summit. He was a little better but after they triaged him it was found that his blood sugar was 50 (normal=70-120) He stayed the night and is fine now.Of course, I did research and found that this is somewhat common with High energy dogs. but, a few things will precipitate it. espcially, if they get wet and cold and continue to work. He had gone through a stream during the hunt. This causes a rapid decrease in blood sugar, before a hypothermic state sets in.
From now on I will carry corn syrup, and give extra nurishment when he gets wet. I feed him performance food and hydrate, but I definately learned a lesson.

two more things;
1. If you are on of the two guys that helped me on Thursday in Bear Creek...Thank you! Your help and concern is very greatful!
2. If you ive in NEPA. The Referral and Vet emergency clinic in Clarks Summit does a great job. They were very caring and did not try to take advantage of the situation $$ wise. I payed for the needed care given ad was given great information. This was the second case of HDH they had last week.

http://wenaha.blogspot.com/2010/04/hunting-dog-hypoglycemia.html

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Very glad to hear that your dog is doing ok. Sounds like a very scary experience. I've read about this before and have kept a close eye on my pup this season.

I know a lot of hunters feed their dogs only once a day during the season, but I still feed a little in the morning as a preventive to this problem. I'm not sure if it actually helps, but I've never had an issue yet with any of my dogs over the years (knock on wood).

·
Registered
24,761 Posts
white bread, Nutra-Cal, are a little easier to carry than a liquid corn syrup and will work in the same way to bring up blood sugar ...Just FYI

·
Registered
455 Posts
Glad your pup is OK. Dogs are amazing. They have so much energy, you tend to think they are unstoppable.

Last year I went through something similar with my dog. Entirely my fault. We came back from hunting and the dog was a mess so I gave her a bath. It was cool but not cold, so I used warm water. Afterwards, the dog started to shiver and couldn't stop. I used a hair dryer on her to warm her up. I felt really stupid but I hope telling this might help other new dog owners like me.

I was at Lion Country Supply dog days this fall. They sell Glyco-charge. It's like a sports drink for dogs. You mix it with water then give it to them within 2 hours after they have been run and it replenishes their system.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Timberdoodle and Another pilgrim thanks for the tips. Hope you all all having a fun season.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Glad your boy is doing better. I'm not so sure there aren't hereditary issues involved with some dogs having it. My setter stud dog had a pup from each of two litters that were hypoglycemic. The mothers of these two litters had the same sire so I'm not sure if it came from my male or the females. My dog and the two females never had the problem so maybe like diabetes it can skip a generation?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I am going to agree with Andy. I have seen it a few times in others dogs and it appeared to happen with certain dogs and in different generations of dogs from the same dogs who had the problems.

I have close to 40 dogs and they are worked extremely hard and for 8 months a year and despite hunting in all sorts of heat and cold for many hours a day, I have never had one experience a seizure.

I am glad your dog came through it with no major issues and a very interesting article. I still feel that this condition is as much specific to the individual dog as all dogs in general. Very much the same as people who develop diabetic issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts