The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year at Bear Camp instead of the pig roast we are having a wild game dinner. We will have steaks from the cows we are buthcering...besides that we are having caribou,deer,squirrel,goose,and catfish....hopefully some turtle soup and rabbit.....and whatever else can be thrown together. Besides the goose. Only because I have that one down pat. Any mouth watering recipes that I should try for any of the others? All of this will be cooked outside over an open fire pit. Any other ideas of what we should cook would be welcome as well.

·
Super Moderator
23,761 Posts
myself at a game dinner i would have to work on either a ground hog or possum recipe

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Groundhog was actually on the list of things to cook.
Possum...I aint eatin it...but I am sure someone would be willin to try it. Coon would be a good one as well. Wish I could get some muskrat or Beavs....but the season won't coincide for anything fresh.
Coon,groundhog, or (possum) recipes anyone?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
We killed and ate a bunch of groundhogs (my dad called them whistlepigs) when I was younger. We'd hunt them every Saturday morning and once in awhile an evening or two during the week. He always skinned and quartered them, removing a gland from under the front legs. He'd put them in a pot to boil them a little, then drain, coat with BBQ sauce, and throw them on the grill. Not exactly gourmet cooking, but it sure beat his "sucker salad"!

If I were to cook one now, I'd be inclined to go with a "pulled pork" sort of recipe. I guess that would work for just about anything. Bake the meat till it comes off the bone and then throw it in a crockpot with your favorite sauce.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I would love to contribute but what kind of cuts or meats are we talking about for the caribou and deer? smlgammer might be able to get you a great pulled rabbit bbq sandwich recipe.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Like my grandma and dad used to do. Squirrel and groundhog and even rabbit are parboiled after you clean and quarter them. Then put them in the oven covered with chopped peppers and onions and tomato sauce. and bake them for an hour or so. Also my dads favorite was the groundhog gravy and biscuits. Parboil the hog then debone the meat. Make up some of the country gravy mix or peppered gravy mix and stir in the chopped up meat season some more to taste. Put that over some hot biscuits for breakfast!!! Beats the heck out of IHOP!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Trapper, That all sounds good have never had ground hog though my great grandfather ate them frequently from what my father has told me. The past two weekends I have smoked a few whole deer hams to get them out of the freezer. I smoked them and then shreaded them into a homemade bbq sauce. Secret family recipe sorry... Smoked them using cherry and apple woods chips. My wife said I need to get hunting again. Best of luck with the game feast. Enjoy and save room for desert.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts