The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You guys are pretty inventive when it comes to making or modifying things to work the way you want them to , so I figured I'd toss this subject out there to see what ideas may work for me .

This is for a short 18 ft. Pontoon boat with 1 1/4 aluminum railings . I really don't care for the 1/4 in . rubber coated rod holders that clamp on the railings . Or are they strong and sufficient for BIG catfish ? I'm thinking along the lines of something that is already made at home and can be removeable when just taking the boat for a cruise . Maybe schedule 40 pipe type racks that I can Zip tie to the railings ? Now , I'm talking rod holders that are used with the baited up pole waiting for a strike from a hopefully BIG catfish not a rack that is just used for storage to get to the fishing spot . That , I already have . The big saltwater rocket launcher type seem cost prohibitive at $60+ a piece times 8 stations . Thanks for any ideas .:popcorn:

·
Registered
10,459 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dogface , thank you for your link . Have you ever gotten a hard hit ( say like a Striper ) on one of those holders ?

Woods Walker , NOW WE'RE TALKING ! I could see 2 sets mounted on each front corner of the pontoon railings . Excellent ! Thank you sir .

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
Dogface , thank you for your link . Have you ever gotten a hard hit ( say like a Striper ) on one of those holders ?

Yes. But I have a different set up. My mounts are screwed to the gunnels on my aluminum boats so there is less give than a rail mount.

I never had a rod holder or mount brake or get damaged. I keep the mount directed 45 degrees to the rear when trolling so there is less stress on the mount and rod when I get a hit. It is also makes it a little easier to get the rod out of the mount when you have a heavy fish on.

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
One other thing regarding a hard hit. Depending on circumstances I use my drag to control things. I try to keep it tight enough to set the hooks but light enough to give if I get snagged. Each set up and bait combo is a little different but not hard to figure out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts