The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to trap a horse farm that has plenty of fox..problem is theres 25 horses that are out all winter that have run of entire farm. Im worried that horses are gonna go after the hay. Any Ideas?? Dont want to use dirtholes just hay sets after up coming weather..

·
Registered
972 Posts
Put your sets outside the fence and make sure your sets are upwind of where you think the fox are crossing the field. Let the prevailing wind help bring them away from the horses to your sets.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Mix some horse dung <span style="font-weight: bold">IN</span> the hayset. I don't think horses will eat their own feces?!? It would be an added ingredient as well. I used it once in a hayset and a fox landed himself in it the next day.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Horse people are nuts! I know because I married one. Their horse always comes first. My advice is stay out of any area where the horses are. IE no snapped traps,no sick horses and no problems getting to the set. Set outside the fences so a horse can't reach the hay or set along the tractor roads. PS, hay sets do catch skunks and other things.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are nuts.. and fortunately only caught fox to date..thanks

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That's funny....because everyone I know who grows hay or works with <span style="font-style: italic">horse people</span>, calls them <span style="font-style: italic">horse people</span>. And they say the same thing. C-R-A-Z-Y! Had a farmer tell me once, if it means going without bread and milk for a week just to get hay for the horses...the horse people will go without!

<span style="font-style: italic">Disclaimer: I apologize in advance for offending any horse people here!</span>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts