The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so today i went to crack back the hammer on the TC Hawken and when it did, i heard/felt it click in and took my hand off...gun was rested on a telephone pole and i was waitin on the deer to come out of the brush into the field..

well as soon as i took my hand off the hammer, it fell and the gun went off....thankfully it was pointed in a safe direction and i didnt get hurt...

set trigger was NOT set...10000% sure...

after that i cocked the hammer back a couple times and it fell each time..if it doesnt fall on its own, it falls with light pressure if i push on it...definitely not safe to hunt with in that condition!

any thoughts or ideas?? trigger is adjusted properly....its not a trigger issue..seems like it isnt catching properly..

i carried it in rifle season and remember having troubles getting it to lock at half cock if i lowered it from full cock...

nothing happened to it...it was cased since last season and taken care of...

havent taken the lock off yet but dont know that its going to tell me much...not sure theres much to be seen or that could be loose or anything...but i dont know..only thing i could figure is maybe something is worn??

any ideas? thoughts? fixes? i know i need to send it to TC or get a new lock...but id like to finish out the season if i could get it working safely and trust it...

i got buddies with the same gun...i'll likely try stealin a lock from one of them to get me through the season...or sit it out..unless ya'll know something that might be the problem like a loose screw or something silly....

be careful out there guys...check your locks...i know today could have been terrible....ive never had an issue with this flinter in the 7 seasons i owned it...i still cant believe it happened...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Wow,

First, glad to know that you are not hurt.
Second, it would not hurt to take the lock off and see if you can tell if something is not right. You might want to compair it to a friends. Your best bet might be to swap with a friends that is not using his to get you through the season then send it to TC.

good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
465 Posts
Had a similar problem, with the same gun, a few years back and was told to replace the part in the lock called the 'fly'. It's a very small piece, and very inexpensive. It fixed the problem. Just my $.02 . Good luck!

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
mickeyd is correct. Check the fly on the half-cock and make sure that it is there and that it is not broken.

Also make sure that there is no build-up in the mouth of the tumbler.

Finally, make sure you do not have the lock screw(s) overtighted. It can pinch the spring and tumbler against the wood causing the hammer to not catch when at fullcock.

Hope this helps.

GBJ

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had something similar happen a few years ago with a TC Hawkins. the small screw underneath the trigger that adjusts the trigger pull, backed out.

·
Super Moderator
12,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx guys....i'll pull the lock in the morning and check the fly and see if anything seems loose...

thinking about the last time it was off, i remember 2 screws in there..they both need to be tight? or are they trigger adjustment screws? i remember 2 screws side by side right about the area of the fly...i know rifles have 2 trigger adjustment screws...maybe my problem could be with them?? or do they just need to be tightened down??

i wont replace anything...its going to TC on a 1 way trip...i been meaning to send it back for updating as it is the old style hammer...but when i remember its almost huntin time...then i clean her up real good and put her away and dont think about sending the lock in...

i'll let ya'll know what i see tomorrow when i take the lock off..really feels like something isnt catching at full cock to me...

·
Super Moderator
12,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mossie, those 2 screws need tightened down tight? not backed out or "adjusted" any other way?? thanks..

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Just snugged up; if they are too tight the hammer won't get full power of the spring and if too loose the hammer will fall too easy. I had trouble with the fly hole being egged out and I had the same trouble as you have so I would look at that; it's not safe. They sent me a new lock of the new design and it's a much better sparker.

The best solution is to get on the phone to any buddies you have that are tagged out already and see if they use a TC gun. Borrow thier lock and it will solve your problem. When you send it to TC don't call just send it with a note discribeing the problem and also say it eats flints and doesn't give good sparks. They will probably just send you their new and much improved lock design for free.

Are you anywhere near Greenville PA? I have one you could use. I would also check to see if you just had the set trigger adjusted too light and just touched the trigger and it went off. You do know that if the set trigger is pulled back it stays that way until fired with the front trigger and it can be fired without setting the rear trigger. Many guys that use a set trigger pull that set trigger after loading it and when they pull the hammer to full cock it already set which saves the time of pulling the set trigger. Personally I don't like set triggers but many do; a properly tuned single trigger is a much safer trigger and much faster too.

·
Registered
178 Posts
dont have the answer but mossie offering him one to use is what i like most about this site, just wondering if you have any deer you need to be removed would be happy to help out--one good turn deserves another

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had a similar probem a couple years ago. The end of the sear had broken off. It was hard to see cause the break was so clean. Bought a new one at a gun shop, then contacted T.Center and they sent me one also.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I have to keep an eye on the lock plate screws on my Lyman. They have a habit of backing out. Also I have an L&R lock that the screw that holds the Frizzen in backs out. When it does the lock will not set tight up against the Barrel.

·
Super Moderator
12,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanx guys...

mossie, you were spot on...the fly seems to have a tiny break in it...if it werent for a sharp burr, it would be very difficult to notice...

i been meaning to send it back for years just because it DOES eat flints for breakfast lunch and dinner and took a little work to get it to fire decently...just never remembered to do it as i dont think about it much except during the season and close to it...it'll get taken care of first thing next week...

got a new lock in from a buddy so i'll get through the season...

i do know if the set trigger is set at half cock its still a hair trigger at full cock...that could be a dangerous situation as well...it doesnt take hardly anything to drop that hair trigger...

gotta find my TC frizzen and put it back on...hope i still got that layin around..they probably wouldnt be too happy to see a lyman frizzen on their lock...

do the new locks still need a lyman frizzen or do they have a good frizzen now too?? my lyman frizzen is about shot so when i get the lock back its going to need a new frizzen...if they send me a new lock (like they hopefully do) i want it good n ready to do its job...

im building my next rifle...i got lucky and got a shooter...love it..but id like a 54 or a 50 that shoots conicals..my 50 wont shoot anything but balls..not that it wont kill deer..id just like a 54 for balls and a 50 for conicals..dont know if i'll ever see the accuracy from a flinter that i see from mine...be hard to stray away from it..but a man cant own too many flinters!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Glad to hear you got back in working order by borrowing a lock; fastest way to get back in the woods. I too would try to put the TC frizzen back on the lock when you send it in; they may look at it as modified and not back the warranty. They will probably send you a whole new redesigned lock; IF YOU DON'T CALL and just send it in with a note.

I have not had a failure to fire in hundreds of shots with the new locks; the frizzen is much better and so is the angle of approach to the frizzen.

Now on building a new rifle and the projectiles you will shoot. I consider a 45-54 roundball useful to about 80 yards max. and yes it will be accurate at longer ranges and still take deer but there are now approved projectiles that perform much better than the roundballs at ranges beyond 80 yards. I am not wanting to sound like a know-it-all but I have used a great many projectiles over the years and have formed my own opinions on effectiveness.

I believe in the hooked breech and it's patent breech design. The removeable breech designs take longer to clean and really serve no purpose. I like .50 calibers for saboted rounds and even conicals; although a .45 conical 1/28 twist barrel is better yet. In roundball 50 is good and 54 is a little better but not that much. I choose 50's for everything because they work well with everything and it's easy to get stuff for them; performance difference is minimum in comparison to the other calibers. I like saboted rounds for deer; low recoil,very accurate,good trajectory, and plenty of thump.

I believe in the hook breech system with a 15/16" channel and switch barrels of various twists for the same stock,lock and triggers. It's easy to drop-in a 15/16" 50 or 54 roundball barrel of 1/66-1/70 twist; drop-in a 1/28 twist for conicals or sabots in 50 caliber. I like to have 24" carbine type barrels as well as longer barrels not exceeding 32"; 28" is a nice all around barrel length. I prefer the half stock designs. Green Mountain makes nice accurate barrels that are reasonably priced but difficult to find right now; hopefully that will improve after the war efforts abate. Small game calibers and smoothbore barrels can also be used if your interested in that; quite versitile. Not real traditional looking but I am into shooting and hunting not reliving the past. So there are my opinions; One or two stocks and a case full of barrels of various lengths,calibers and twists to fit it.

·
Super Moderator
12,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanx alot mossie...

i know i called once and got the ole run around..."try a different flint" "try shooting the flint bevel up and down" etc etc...i was just calling to make sure guys on the net werent full of it (6-7 years ago when i was 16 i wasnt sending a lock off just because some random guy on the net said so lol..but ive heard it 100 times now..) so it'll get sent in...

thanx for the info on the build...i'll get around to em all eventually...i think top priority flinter wise is a big smoothbore..i got an itchin for a spring turkey gun..hopefully i can get one that will actually shoot roundballs decent atleast a short distance away..the 50 works...no question about it..mines killed 3 for me and got its first buck yesterday when my buddies wouldnt go off and i handed mine to him...funny when you hear "i hit just where i was aiming!" like it was shocker to him lol...

·
Super Moderator
12,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
as says the midway commercial
i must agree...i dont have much use for a rifle that is not accurate...when a rifle is not more accurate than i can shoot it, its gone or im dumping money into it...do i need to shoot cute little groups from a rifle i shoot deer at 30yds with? no...but i wont settle for "ok"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts