The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, really enjoy this forum when I get a chance to come in here and have a question. I am not a mushroom picker but did find a sheepshead in the yard a few years ago that a friend of mine and member here Identified for me. I have a huge red oak stump behind my barn that in the past would get alot of papinky, spelling?

At any rate for the last week I have been watching something growing on this stump and I'm not sure what it is. They all started as white masses that quickly have blossomed into rather large shrooms or fungus. I check in the morning and at night and the growth is amazing and I see more starting to come up from the stump and ground around it. I took a few pics tonight after dark and there not the best and I should get better ones I guess when it's daylight out but here is the best one.

Thoughts? As I said I don't know my shrooms but would like to go on a learning hike someday and learn about them. Thanks for looking be it junk or a gold mine!

Thanks folks

·
Registered
186 Posts
looks like a Giant Polypore to me. Pinch it between your fingers and if it turns dark where you touched it then it's a polypore. They look a lot like hen of the woods, but hen mushrooms don't turn color when you touch them. I had some polypore a couple weeks ago and the only part that I cared at all to eat were the very tips which are most tender. The rest was pretty tough.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, appreciate it, they just looked different from what few sheepshead I have seen. Again thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts