The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tellme what this is? The bears seem to love them. I ate 7/8 right off the ground. They were pretty good.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Looks like sawtooth oak to me.....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked up hazle nut and that's not it. It does look like the sawtooth oak. I've never seen this tree before. It's native of Japan and Korea. Planted as wildlife food because of abundance of nuts at an early age. I was on gamelands when I found them so the planting for food makes sense to me. The bears were braking the branches off the trees to get to the nuts. Bear crap everywhere.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
If you do a little Googling you will find plenty of info about eating acorns. They provided a staple food for the Indians. And some early settlers. And some people into foraging still make acorn meal / flour.

The acorns from the white oak family are considered better than those from the red oak family.

The acorns, or the ground acorn meal, are leached, to remove the tannins, before eating.

·
Registered
309 Posts
i would say republicans....no, wait, democrats, no, wait, all the politicians, that are running 4 office this year!! hahaha

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have seen them growing on the state hunting lands and the WCO said they were saw tooth oaks. I have read where they produce acorns in 7 years. I planted some 4 years ago and they are not going to be having any acorns in 3 years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts