The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to see a handgun deer season with firearms limited to centerfire handguns with barrels 10" or less, using straight-wall cartridges .35 to .50 caliber. It would run concurrent with the existing muzzleloader seasons and follow the same early season, antlerless, and late season, antler and antlerless rules.

·
Registered
430 Posts
We already have a season that you can hunt with a handgun. I've been doing it for at least 20 years in the 2 week Antleted/Antlerless season. Been quite successful at it and in no way feel a disadvantage that there are rifle hunters sharing the woods.

I find it amusing that you want a new season and want to restrict some weapons and calibers.

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
Why would anyone want a handgun season that makes the 600 Nitro Express illegal?

59Willys: Elvis is probably looking rather shabby right now, but you can dream!

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would like to see a handgun deer season with firearms limited to centerfire handguns with barrels 10" or less, using straight-wall cartridges .35 to .50 caliber. It would run concurrent with the existing muzzleloader seasons and follow the same early season, antlerless, and late season, antler and antlerless rules.
That's the pretend muzzleloader season your stepping on. Just setting the record straight. Use your handgun in regular rifle season, that what I did for about 10 years. Lots of fun.

·
Registered
871 Posts
We already have a season that you can hunt with a handgun. I've been doing it for at least 20 years in the 2 week Antleted/Antlerless season. Been quite successful at it and in no way feel a disadvantage that there are rifle hunters sharing the woods.

I find it amusing that you want a new season and want to restrict some weapons and calibers.
That's the pretend muzzleloader season your stepping on. Just setting the record straight. Use your handgun in regular rifle season, that what I did for about 10 years. Lots of fun.
The purpose of the handgun season as he proposed is additional time in the field for those that don’t want to use a bow or muzzleloader but still wish to hunt deer. Rehashing that “handguns are already legal in the 2 weeks general firearms season” isn’t giving anybody more time to hunt which is the whole purpose of the extra season.

Based on the criteria he stated that means that the handguns legal to hunt with would be on par with or less effective than the muzzleloaders that are already legal during this time. By restricting the equipment to only allow a less effective arm then it takes away the “it will slaughter the deer herd” argument we hear every time someone mentions expanding rifle opportunities.

After all it is hard to argue that a .357 revolver would be “too effective to allow” when people are getting sub moa groups at 300 yards with the muzzleloaders currently used in the inline season now. As far as I see it if it doesn’t harm the resource and allows additional opportunities then I don’t see the harm in adding it.

Also as for those not up to date on firearms tech, there is a reason he chose the criteria listed. His goal was to limit it to revolvers and large bore contender type handguns with limited range so that it has a better chance of passing than simply saying “handgun”. Those restrictions are specifically targeted at people like me who saw “handgun season” and immediately thought build a suppressed 15” 6.5 PRC on a pistol chassis with a brace. Pictured below, the “handgun” I would build to use in an unrestricted handgun season.

FBC70379-5CCD-465B-84A1-1C10754DFF0E_1589167504289.jpeg

·
Registered
430 Posts

The purpose of the handgun season as he proposed is additional time in the field for those that don’t want to use a bow or muzzleloader but still wish to hunt deer. Rehashing that “handguns are already legal in the 2 weeks general firearms season” isn’t giving anybody more time to hunt which is the whole purpose of the extra season.

Based on the criteria he stated that means that the handguns legal to hunt with would be on par with or less effective than the muzzleloaders that are already legal during this time. By restricting the equipment to only allow a less effective arm then it takes away the “it will slaughter the deer herd” argument we hear every time someone mentions expanding rifle opportunities.

After all it is hard to argue that a .357 revolver would be “too effective to allow” when people are getting sub moa groups at 300 yards with the muzzleloaders currently used in the inline season now. As far as I see it if it doesn’t harm the resource and allows additional opportunities then I don’t see the harm in adding it.

Also as for those not up to date on firearms tech, there is a reason he chose the criteria listed. His goal was to limit it to revolvers and large bore contender type handguns with limited range so that it has a better chance of passing than simply saying “handgun”. Those restrictions are specifically targeted at people like me who saw “handgun season” and immediately thought build a suppressed 15” 6.5 PRC on a pistol chassis with a brace. Pictured below, the “handgun” I would build to use in an unrestricted handgun season.

View attachment 154535

Please pass the popcorn.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
There once was a time (honest - there was) when you could take a deer in archery season or take a deer in firearms season - ONE deer...and, all the hunting regulations and seasons and bag limits were easily explained in one tiny little 4" square pamphlet. There really was such a time.
I'm old enough to remember that.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
after reading the posts on here someone could use the logic that all the extra seasons could be done away with and have everyone hunt with whatever weapon they use in those extra seasons during the regular two week deer season. it seems that those that have the seasons to hunt with their preferred weapon dont want anyone else to have some extra time to hunt with what they want. you have bow hunting that has 5 or 6 weeks to hunt. lets limit them to 2 weeks. muzzle loading, 2 weeks. while we are at it lets make all seasons only 2 weeks long. boy, would that make those hunters cry fowl. as with all primative hunting there should be limitations put on their use. when someone asks a question about wanting, say, a hunting season just for handguns, let them talk. they are fellow hunters who should be listened to, not put down.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Being a Revolver Snob, I'd go a step farther and say it should be a Revolver season. Since bottle neck cartridges have never really worked all the well in revolvers, I dare say you wouldn't even need to restrict it to straight wall cartridges.

Ok now, queue up the slings and arrows!!!!!:grin2:>:)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Being a Revolver Snob, I'd go a step farther and say it should be a Revolver season. Since bottle neck cartridges have never really worked all the well in revolvers, I dare say you wouldn't even need to restrict it to straight wall cartridges.

Ok now, queue up the slings and arrows!!!!!
As a revolver snob how could you forget the SAA and vaquero in .44-40 and the BFR in .30-30?

·
Registered
17,166 Posts

Ok now, queue up the slings and arrows!!!!!:grin2:>:)

i agree. just because someone slaps a pistol grip on a short rifle barrel doesnt mean its really a handgun. there are "pistols" out there that are capable of 300 yard shots...thats not a handgun...its a short rifle.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts