The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you all hear about this?Happened apparently over the last weekend up in Butler Co.It appears the ice gave way around his perimiter of holes drilled.I can,t believe anyone would have been out cause the temps have been warm up to the accident and the ice would have been noticably unsafe.So sad,it was an older gentleman also probably tryin to squeeze out one more outing.

·
Super Moderator
4,536 Posts
I actually drove past there Saturday around 4 to drive through and check out the ice. When I went past there I seen his dog walking on the ice and seen some ice fishing gear there but didnt see the guy..I figured the guy was in the woods closeby....came back past there shortly before 5 and the ice fishing gear still there, but no guy or dog..Didnt see any signs of distress or splashing in the water and continued down to 528...got home and turned the news on and heard about it...Made me sick to my stomach knowing that he may have been in the water when I drove by...maybe I could have done something...I guess we will never know if he was in the water or how long...very sad situation.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
very sad for sure. There isnt a fish out there worth a persons life, please be safe this time of year on the ice.

·
Super Moderator
6,024 Posts
I fished Saturday, just not on the same part of the lake. Ice was 5" and mostly good black ice. By later in the day the ice turned white and soft. There were still guys fishing Sunday, and a couple of them went for a swim. Not me!!!!

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Here's the full story.

It's a shame. From what I've seen and heard, he was a knowledgeable fisherman. He did lots of things right that day, but he was alone.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
LB i was worried about you, maybe your bro talked you into slush fishing again. glad it wasnt you. just wait till we get the boat out now! I went thru once in Kinzu..darn runoff from the lauch got it all slushy and spash...just glad my Father in law liked me better than the first wife did or it could have been in a pickle for sure

·
Super Moderator
6,024 Posts
mallardmaniac said:
LB i was worried about you, maybe your bro talked you into slush fishing again. glad it wasnt you. just wait till we get the boat out now! I went thru once in Kinzu..darn runoff from the lauch got it all slushy and spash...just glad my Father in law liked me better than the first wife did or it could have been in a pickle for sure
Thanks for the thoughts mallard. We had picks, rope and PFD's, just in case. I was keeping an eye on the ice. I was fishing deeper water and as the sun got higher in the sky, the ice was turning white and really making some noise. When all but one inch of the black ice turned white, we headed off!!! Could have stayed most of day, I wasn't taking the chance. There's always next year!!!!

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
LONG BEARD 101 said:
mallardmaniac said:
Thanks for the thoughts mallard. We had picks, rope and PFD's, just in case. I was keeping an eye on the ice. I was fishing deeper water and as the sun got higher in the sky, the ice was turning white and really making some noise. When all but one inch of the black ice turned white, we headed off!!! Could have stayed most of day, I wasn't taking the chance. There's always next year!!!!
LB, were you one of the Clams? I'd tossed a dead shiner on the ice, when it disappeared, I left. I should not have not been out on my own that day. The morning was fine, but once the sun got high in the sky, it was time to get off the ice.

·
Super Moderator
6,024 Posts
ES, nope, that wasn't me. Way to nice for a shanty! But you are correct, that sun was ruining it fast!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts