The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small area I am going to remove the weeds from and till with a rotator tiller. I will also measure the ph, add lime, and fertilize too. This area is an old landing site that grows weeds very well... so there is some nutrition. I will be prepping and planting the seed once I see rain a day or two of rain in the forecast. This area gets a good bit of sun. I would say from 9-10 to 6-7.
Here is my question from you... I have 3 different bags of seed to chose from (Secret Spot, Throw & Gro, and Honey Hole) which would you plant and why?
Thank you much...

·
Registered
862 Posts
sorry to say, i really dont know what's in all of them.

But here is what i would do now, I would do clover now this time of year.. or you could even do some turnips and winter wheat.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
The Secret Spot and the Thro and Grow both have perennial ryegrass in them. I would not plant them, ever.

I'd also assume the other one does as well.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Given those three, due to the ryegrass I would go with the Honey Hole if this is all that is in it, taken from "AK's" web site "Comprised of 5 varieties of Brassicas, Honey Hole will draw deer from great distances to feed on the succulent forage throughout the fall and winter!"

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Yeah, I looked it us, as did Flint, and it seems to be a brassica only mix.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Has anyone in this group done anything with Sugar Beets? How did it work out? I know it is late for bulb development but I am adding some to my mix and planting this weekend.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I planted some that were in a mix several years ago, never saw them. Don't think they came up.

You gonna post pics or would that risk the security of yer secret spot? LOL

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I am making sure all the locator's are de-bugged from the pics, could take a few weeks

Once I get something out of the ground I'll post some pics of the entire process, right now all I have are pics of weeds as tall as my tractor.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Hope its a lawn tractor, but thinking it's a bigger beast and you have a serious weed problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts