The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about trying to predator hunt..I hunt the outside of the suburbs..i have everything except lights..i was thinking of getting a Noxx headlamp in Red for my scan light and a Red dagger for my kill light with a mount on my shotgun..but my question is this...we're not aloud to use Rifles around the 2 counties ,i'm going to hunt..so what would you recommend shooting..sabots or the Coyote load made by Federal??I'm shooting a mossberg 535 and have a few different barrels..Thanks Russ

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I would reccommend shooting #4 buckshot through a tight choke. You'll find a ample population of preds on public lands at night. Where abouts in 5C/5D are you? Don't toss out the 22mag which is legal for preds in SRA's. I would just have some hesitation about it if you get into coyotes. Otherwise, a 22mag will take down a red fox.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am 15 miles North out of Philly...in the burbs ..I'm mostly going to target Coyotes only...and my shots hopefully will be under 100 yards..I guess a 22 mag would be out of the question or is a headshot possiable...

·
Registered
927 Posts
A 22mag is a fine gun with a good shot. you could wait to get a new 17wsm. But for your needs use the shotgun. Steel BB loads are very effective. The 22mag will kill a coyote with a chest neck shot. I killed my first coyote 2 years ago with mine from 30y

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
Honkers - IMO, don't waste your money on expensive shotgun shells. Turkey loads work great!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did nt think of that...I have plenty of those in 3.5.....ive killed gobblers in the 50 yard range with them...what's range out with the number 6 turkey. 2 oz load maybe 50 yards and would it drop a coyote...cause I don t want to stump around the. woods chasing a wounded coyote...I want try this before I put any money into a 22 250 and a good setup...Thanks Russ

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
You can target Coyotes all you want, but where you hunt you will call in fox over yotes 50 to 1. Don't get me wrong...you may find the occasional coyote, but you will miss out on lots of great hunting if you don't kill fox also. A shotgun with #4 buckshot or a 22 mag are great choices for special reg areas. I have not tried turkey loads. The yote I shot in 5C was a head shot with a 22mag while I was fox hunting. I would never TARGET yotes with a 22mag and count on head shots...that was just dumb luck and a good shot.

If you ever want someone to join you let me know. I have been hunting predators for about six years now, I have lots of gear, and I often hunt north of Philly also.

Best of luck...you will get hooked for sure!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts