The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy and I went goose hunting on Saturday morning. We were set up in a field next to a horse farm that has a big pond on it that always has hundreds of ducks and geese on it. We were about six hundred yards from the pond. We weren't there long and a game commissioner came walking up what seemed like a routine check turned out to be him telling us that he was giving us a writen warning and we were no longer able to hunt there because the lady that owns the pond on the horse farm has domestic ducks and feeds them the ducks she has have there wings clipped and cannot fly. We were giving warnings for hunting in a baited area and over live decoys! We were six hundred yards from the pond and because of how the land lays could not see the pond. The farm I have permission to hunt is huge so I asked the deputy that if we moved farther away if it would be alright. He told us that he could not give us an answer weather it would be alright or not because it's all under the discretion of the deputy that checks us. But the next time he will be fineing us. I didn't know the lady had domestic ducks or feed them but if I had known I don't think I would have done anything differntley I thought I was far enough away. We are young and just started hunting and don't have many spots and we were doing real good there so it [censored].. Just wanted to know what you guys thought about this?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I was wrong.. So I'm deleting what I said.. The law says you can't hunt an area that baiting brings birds to, on, or over, so unfortunately he's right, although I'm sure he only arrived because she called.. That [censored] in my opinion..

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would have said thanks for the warning and I will see you in court when you ticket me the next time I hunt it.
For one your over 600 yards from her pond and hunting on another property and two your not shooting her ducks because the game warden stated that her ducks wings are clipped and the birds are flightless.
It's just another tree hugger crying that somebody is using our public natural resource to have fun. I would think that if her pond is baited that she would be guilty of feeding wildfowl which is illegal just not enforced.
And I would also think that if the birds are going to her pond cause she baits it that it would make it harder for you to kill birds in the area. Like I said I would hunt it and see them in court.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It all has to do with that hunting partner of yours!! just kidding! You know my opinion since we talked the other day. Good to see you on this sight.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You would lose! The feds have prosecuted people a lot further than 600 yards for hunting waterfowl over bait and live decoys.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They just couldent give me any anwsers I did a complete 360 and pointed every field within sight saying can I hunt that can I hunt that can I hunt that. He said he couldent tell me yes or no for any of them like what the heck. If a goose flys off that pond and fly six hundred yards into my spread or flys two miles into my spread what is the difference goose came off the same "baited" pond!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They can give you a distance. If you are hunting an area with live decoys and bait anything coming from that area is not legal to shoot at. I never took it as far as the feds do or did, the federal courts found people guilty to the horizon for bait and live decoys.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
So with a few baited farm ponds strategically placed, waterfowl hunting could be effectively eliminated from a large portion of any county. That's just rubbish. The law should be clear with specific limits and it's not. I could not find anything specific written in the law. It's completely left up to interpretation. 600 yards is more than far enough away that the little farm pond won't affect it. Common sense has to be used. This isn't a 500 yard bird sanctuaries. It's a farm pond for crying out loud. That deputy either needs a heavy dose of common sense or he needs to remove his head from a certain orifice. That's just absurd.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I asked him if he was going to shut down all of PA for goose hunting since the lil old lady feeds the ducks and geese.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have now heard it all.

"If you are hunting an area with live decoys and bait anything coming from that area is not legal to shoot at."

In theory, Those birds could travel anywhere in the state from that pond, making killing any of those birds a felony.

I would hunt it as well and go to court.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
It's a case by case deal.. I don't agree with it, but it's the way the law is, and especially after being warned, you're chances in court are 0 at best.. This is how the law is written..

Distance
How close to bait can you hunt without breaking the law? There is no set distance. The law prohibits hunting if bait is present that could lure or attract birds to, on, or over areas where hunters are attempting to take them. Distance will vary depending on the circumstances and such factors as topography, weather, and waterfowl flight patterns. Therefore, this question can only be answered on a case-by-case basis.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
I really enjoy these threads.

This poster got a written warning and since you already got the correct advice about the baiting laws, you don't wanna hunt there.
If you think about it, 600 yards isn't very far when it comes to waterfowl. No wonder it was such a good spot and you were doing so well there.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I think it is silly but I guess the law is the law. I would think that this would be normal agricultural practice and that it should not effect your hunt. It would be like saying you cannot hunt an alfalfa field because its baiting. What about hunting near a horse pasture or any pasture where animals are fed as part of agriculture? Off limits? Can I hunt near a corn bin where the farmer stores his grain?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I'm with buk... Isn't there a difference between feeding domestic farm animals and baiting wild game? Seems like two different things but not arguing with the law... The man always wins. I'm with you tho this would sting.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The old lady has you by the curlies and she knows it. Press the issue and then let us know who is correct. I suspect it will cost you and if it's the feds you will pay dearly. It's one messed-up society just look at PA avenue.
(woops)

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
TEALHNTR said:
The old lady has you by the curlies and she knows it. Press the issue and then let us know who is correct. I suspect it will cost you and if it's the feds you will pay dearly. It's one messed-up society just look at PA avenue.
(woops)
If this lady is doing this to spite you. I say you need to start hunting starlings and crows on the property line. They are plentiful and make for great sport. Pigeons would be good fun too. Make sure you start early and often.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts