The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is willing to part ways with a .45 that I have always liked. Do we need to go to a gun shop to complete the purchase. We are both PA residents and currently wn handguns. We just want to make sure all is well. Thanks for any input.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
Just did one it was $26 if I remember right

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If I remember right $7 goes to uncle sam and the LGS charges you their fee on top of that for time and expense.

·
Registered
282 Posts
might have been a dealer fee for the excess $ we paid... i can't remember exactly... i know it was in the 30's but not sure why (details) i sold it and the buyer paid the bill....

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
typically the best you will find is a $20 fee but i have seen them close to $55 depends if the dealer wants to make a good amount on you or not

·
Registered
769 Posts
Can I clear something up here? There is NO set price for a transfer. A dealer gets what the customer base allows. I know it will be a hard sell to make anyone believe this here, but it is a major pain in the neck for them to do a transfer. I know "it is free money for 5 minutes of work". But it is not so. they have to stop selling guns and making money to transfer your gun. they have to add one more gun to their log book, each one is a liability in the eyes of the ATF. Etc . . . So they get as much as they can.

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
Cheapest transfer fee I've ever paid, was $5, to get a rifle that a friend's kid had on consignment at a shop. That's what the shopowner charged for the PICS check and I gave him another $5 for the aggravation of having the rifle there for a coupla days. Because I'd sold it to the kid years before and the dummy should've asked me if I wanted it back, before taking it to that shop.

First handgun for a woman? I'd pick a small 38 snubbie. Generally easy to master and not hard to tote in a pocketbook. No bells and whistles to complicate things.

·
Registered
36 Posts
fjp110 said:
Can I clear something up here? There is NO set price for a transfer. A dealer gets what the customer base allows. I know it will be a hard sell to make anyone believe this here, but it is a major pain in the neck for them to do a transfer. I know "it is free money for 5 minutes of work". But it is not so. they have to stop selling guns and making money to transfer your gun. they have to add one more gun to their log book, each one is a liability in the eyes of the ATF. Etc . . . So they get as much as they can.
yeah, they have to stop selling to make a given amount, I don't feel bad at all, its just like a legal robbery. The whole process is not in favor of the 2A but I guess that is another topic.

·
Registered
485 Posts
UP ONTO MY SOAPBOX!! i work at a gunshop. i get paid for it. i do transfers. the transfer takes at the minimum 15 minutes. that involves helping the customer fill out forms(correcting their errors) this includes county not country. middle name NOT initial. translating question 12. filling out my section of both forms calling pics, waiting for pics, filling out acquisition/dispursment book, taking the money. etc. sometime takes as much as a 1/2 hour. all this is "TIME" that must be paid for. all the while i am trying to be "perfect" because too many errors can cost store problems with atf or psp. i am willing to bet that some people out in huntingpa want top dollar for their labor(time) but begrudge anyone else wanting top dollar for their's. bottom line a business must make money or close. ps. check out what a notary charges to witness a signiture if you think an ffl is ripping you off. EXITING SOAPBOX!!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
It pays to shop around.I bought my last gun from a dealer in NE PA and had it shipped to a local dealer who charged an enormous transfer fee.I know next time to not have it shipped to this dealer.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
i would buy a 357 magnum with at least a 5 inch barrel it's easier to handle than the snubbies because the recoil is as much of a snap and you dont have to shoot the 357 out of them you can just shoot 38s but in the future if you decide you can shoot the 357s.I was watching a lot of self defense shows and thats what they were saying a lot of newer shooters(not saying your a new shooter)and just people who haven't really shot hand guns a lot should use.The show i learned that from is actual Personal Defense T.V. on the outdoor channel i think

·
Registered
10 Posts
Over the hill- I know exactly how you feel. I run the firearms department for "Hunters Gallery" and Transfers are not fun. We charge $20 and $5 automatically goes to the state. So we make $15 for something that prob. takes 1-1 1/2 hours to complete by the time you log the gun in do the paper work, place the call(if pics is operating correctly that day), collecting money and logging out. All Im trying to say is we def. work for our $15.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts