The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anyone ever posted about this... When I deer hunt I make sure my folding deer knife and or fixed blade has a orange handle on.. As you gut your deer you will lay your knife down from time to time... So good to see it laying on the ground when it's orange....

·
Registered
388 Posts
Uncle Buck, it works! (BOG)
I had a fella come 'round the shop several years ago wanting to peddle a box of knives. Said he needed the cash to pay fines. I bought them all(18 iirc) as most were high quality knives.
Every one of them, caked with blood and fat and hair, had orange surveyors tape attached to them........hahahahahaha
I figgered out what the tape was for.....

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Lost 2 hunting knives thus far in my years. One a Case, the other Browning FDT. Both had orange handles. Makes ya wanna tear up a little losing such a direct tie to so many memories!

·
Super Moderator
4,885 Posts
I went to orange knives several years ago. I left a nice Dunn knife at a moose gutpile a couple of years ago. Luckily, the following season, I shot another bull the next year within a stone’s throw distance of where I killed the other. The guide and I looked around and found it. I now carry an orange Havalon and an orange Cutco. I also got into a habit of policing up my gear at a kill its....camera, license, knives,, gloves, etc. I can’t understand why some folks buy a camo knife.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I bought a Gerber version of a Havalon knife this past season and its going to be the only gutting knife I carry from now on. It worked so well that the pretty wood handled knives will stay at home except for bear season where a heavier knife could come in handy. It happens to have an orange handle too.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Keep an eye on the cover on the gerber version of a havalon, it falls off easily. I stuck mine in my back pocket this year and the cover fell off with the blade sticking straight up and I almost grabbed the bare blade when I reached for the knife. Could have been bad those things are scary sharp

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Havalon and never opened the package yet. I will remember what you said. I will check to see if it's a
Gerber too. Thanks for your comment on it.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I don't have any orange knives... And that is why I never lay them down when gutting. I stick them in the nearest tree above waist level. I've actually forgotten my knife a couple times. Easy as pie to go back and find them, most things in the woods don't grow at 90* to the trunk.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
The knife I carry 95 % of the time is a folding Camillus with bone sides that I got for high school graduation. That knife has taken care of 90 % of big game I have ever harvested. I've had to return to gut piles twice to retrieve it. Once it took two of us about an hour of rooting around in the leaves to find it. While an orange handled knife would be a good idea, that knife has too much history with me to leave at home.

One time while hunting state forest I found a nice older leather wrap Kbar at a gut pile. The following summer I stopped to talk to some people that were up for the weekend visiting their cabin. One fellow mention he shot a buck in the area I found that Kbar. I asked him why he left his knife at the gut pile. Boy did his face light up when he found out I found his knife. He followed me home to reclaim it. What are the odds of that ?

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep an eye on the cover on the gerber version of a havalon, it falls off easily. I stuck mine in my back pocket this year and the cover fell off with the blade sticking straight up and I almost grabbed the bare blade when I reached for the knife. Could have been bad those things are scary sharp
I checked it's a Gerber! Again thanks for info.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Gutted a deer this passed year. Layed the knife down and forgot it. Went back the next morning, gone, including all the guts. Went back a week later and kicked the whole place up. Never found it. Had some history with that knife, really irks me. It was a orange camo buck 10 pt. Wife ordering me a new one for bday. Color doesn’t matter when you’re dumb! I’ll try not to be so dumb again.

·
Super Moderator
12,615 Posts
I have a Buck woodsman and have used it on all my deer since the mid seventies. Before that I had a Buck Pathfinder both similar. The Buck Pathfinder I dropped in a trash bag with goose feathers and accidentally throw it away. It was like losing a friend.

I carry my woodsman in my back pack while hunting, when I use it to field dress deer I place the holster and all my loose items on my removed jacket or next to my bow or gun. I always check I have all things before I leave, except one year I got back to my 4 wheeler and was rearranging things in my back pack and noticed my treasured Buck knife was not in its pocket where it belong so I emptied the entire bag in an attempt to locate the knife....nothing.....I walked backed to the field dress site moved every thing around, leaves, organs etc. I found nothing and was puzzled and stood there replaying the entire episode in my mind when I put my hands on my hips to discover I wore my knife on my belt that day.

After I got over feeling stupid, I laughed at myself and was very happy I had found my friend.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I have an outdoor edge swing blade with an orange handle. IMHO it is about the best 50 dollar knife out there.

·
Premium Member
23,842 Posts
The Ka Bar Folding Hunter(Dozier Design blade) is a nice lil 3" bladed knife costing $20 or less.. I used to have one but can't seem to find it!!:grin2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts